Is this possible in 3 years?

skythrill

Looking for some advice to reach a personal goal of mine. In 3 years from now I want to get in the best shape of my life. To give you an example of where I am and where I would like to be I've found 2 pictures. The left pic is closer to where I am now and the picture to the right is where I want to be in 3 years. Has anyone found a great program of has some advice. Thanks.

1669371771649.jpeg

Kind of depends on how old you are (getting a sixpack when you're over 40 is a lot harder than under 30) and how much time and energy you're willing to invest. The dude on the right probably doesn't look like that on a daily basis. He likely dehydrated, didn't eat breakfast, and got a pump going for the shoot. So don't expect to look like his picture 24/7. That said he doesn't have a stupid amount of muscle mass, although it's a good bit more than what most people have. 3 years is a very reasonable time to lose weight and gain muscle so if you're dedicated to both the kitchen and the gym I could see it happening.

Kind of depends on how old you are (getting a sixpack when you're over 40 is a lot harder than under 30) and how much time and energy you're willing to invest. The dude on the right probably doesn't look like that on a daily basis. He likely dehydrated, didn't eat breakfast, and got a pump going for the shoot. So don't expect to look like his picture 24/7. That said he doesn't have a stupid amount of muscle mass, although it's a good bit more than what most people have. 3 years is a very reasonable time to lose weight and gain muscle so if you're dedicated to both the kitchen and the gym I could see it happening.
Much appreciated, I'm 39 now. would you recommend training light weights or heavy weights for that type of body?

Nobody gets that kind of body with light weights (if they get it at all). @Trusylver is our resident lifting expert and will hopefully correct me here but from my side of the fence (physical therapy) I'd say start out with light weights until you can perfect your technique (because you don't want to get hurt) but in order to keep as much muscle mass as possible (and maybe build more) while you're losing weight heavier weights make sense.

Start light, learn good technique then the style of training will change throughout the process.

Light weight is optimal for building endurance, moderate for hypertrophy and heavy for strength. Power development is largely affected by how you lift. however it is a continuum, heavy weights will develop hypertrophy for example but not as optimally as moderate weights with a higher rep scheme and differing tempos.

when you are in calorie deficit little to no hypertrophy will occur depending on lifting experience (newbie gains) and the amount of bodyfat you have. Training for strength or endurance is best in deficit. most body builders will cycle between cutting and bulking. during a clean bulk a slight calorie surplus is used and lifting is done in the hypertrophy weight range and tempo before cutting again. Body recomp is possible without much of a cut/bulk cycle but requires a bit of fine tuning.

I think that the goal is not realistic, The second photography is a person younger than the first, and whose principal activity is bodybuilding or fitness, and almost surely never was fat as the other man is..
But the man of the first photo has all the chances to be "not fat" healthy, well conditioned and muscular.
I like, as example, suggest the people see the combat Ali x Foreman. They were high conditioned and strong, but they had not six pack. Exists a great field of good condition strength and health between the two photos.

And a serious problem is the people lost this field because "if I can´t be as the second, I stay as the first"

Back