is this doing me any good

well, ive been trying hiit lately and i had previously mildly injured my hip, so i cant really all out sprint. ive been running on the treadmill at a pretty fast run (about level 7-8 on my treadmill) for 1 minute, then a brisk walk (level 4) for 1 minute, for like 30 minutes. am i getting similar benefit as if i were sprinting? i dont really want to sprint because the first day i tried to it really hurt and i know im not ready to yet.

and another question, how do i do hiit on a bike or elliptical trainer? im thinking i might stick to the elliptical for awhile until my hip is completely better, but i dont know if increasing the intensity means going faster or upping the level. because with running upping the level is the incline, right? man im confused.

thanks XD

joy

I'm no expert on HIIT, but you shouldn't be walking for thirty minutes - look more towards five or under. You're training your recovery time too.

if you don't want to sprint yet, then you don't have to - interval training, HIIT or not, has great benefits. Just work up to a sprinting speed as you feel comfortable.

When running, you alternate periods of walking (recovery) with sprinting - you don't change the incline. I'm not sure on an elliptical... but on a bike, you would alternate high rpm's w/ low

Back