Interval Training and Beta Blockers

I was just wondering if anyone else takes beta blockers and if they can cause weight loss to stall if taken in the morning. I take Toprol XL 25 mg daily for mitral valve prolapse and minor chest pains. I heard that mixing up workout intensity is the best for fat loss. For my exercise routine I have been doing some interval training for a few months now. I do 4-5 miles of 30 second full sprints and then slow jog, repeating. I do this 3-4 times a week along with weight lifting also. I am trying to get the last 5-10 pounds off, and eating around 1800 calories daily. I am a male who weighs 160. Does anyone have any advice as to what I may be doing wrong as I haven't lost any weight in the last 4 weeks. Sorry for the long first post.

My main concern is will beta blockers prevent weight loss even if calories are reduced. Does anyone take them and will taking them at night cause more weight loss during the day? I know they slow heart rate. Or does it really not matter when I take them since they are extended release. Thanks for your advice in advance. I really appreciate it. :sport:

Welcome. I was on beta blockers for a while before switching to a calcium channel blocker because of side effects. To my knowledge, beta blockers will not affect weight loss. Take them at the time of day that your doctor recommends.

For weight loss, you need to do what everyone else does; restrict your diet or exercise more.

Hi there
I was on BB for about 6 months a few years ago. I did put on weight, but I think that was an indirect consequence of the fact that my running mileage plummeted, because I suddenly found it EXHAUSTING. You don't mention that in your post, so hopefully you won't have the same problem I did. If I remember rightly the drug I took was called Inderol (or something like that!)

Hi, I am on the forum to try to get some information that can help me. I had a heart attack 6 weeks ago and I have been doing cardiac rehab for the past 5 weeks. Before my attack, I was a avid runner and cyclist. The day of my attack I just completed a metric century ride (I thought I was feeling great). The intensity of the rehab is very light at best, and I been hearing about interval training while on a beat blocker. I am currently taking Carvedilol 3.125mg twice a day. I have been trying in my workouts at home to get back in the swing of things with my training. Currently I will ride 25 miles (with little effort heart rate maybe max at 110bpm) with rolling hills. Last week I went out for a early jog for 1 mile and it felt great! I am holding myself back because I am concerned about not knowing what my max heart rate should be now. The minus your 220 from your age, mine would be 170bpm, I know is a quess, but I do not what to quess at my max right now. The cardo rehab folks are great, but they only advice they have for me, is to do the same intensity at home as at the rehab.
What is your experience with getting back into training?

Back