I'm considering joining a Gym....

My wife and I are comitted to losing the extra pounds we've put on in the past 14 years. We will probably join a gym but have no idea what the current rates are comparatively. Any comments on the subject would really help.

Check out local universities and colleges to see if they allow public to become members.
I joined the gym at St. Joseph's College in Hartford and it's...hmm...trying to remember.... $250 a year, I think. ANyways, it's much much cheaper than any other gym around. It's small, but it's never crowded, adn they have all the equipment you'll need. I used to go to the gym at University of Connecticut when I was a student and they allowed public to join, too.

And don't join Bally's - they are crooks and I know people who have had their credit ruined.

I am a member of 24 hour fitness and they have tons of different packages but the one I have allows me to go to any club in any place in the world paid a few hundred up front (cant remember exactly) and like 22 a month with no contract. It is a nice club can get crowded in the evenings (so i go during the day) but tons and tons of them around great staff and plenty of equiment

yeah 24 hour fitness is good, and if you pay everything upfront(not the easiest thing i kno) you save a lot, it comes out to 16-20 $ a month.. which isnt bad @ all. and little privately owned gyms start @ 10$ a month w/no other fees..

You have to decide if you want to join a lifting gym or a fitness center. This factor greatly affects your motivation. Also ask for a trial 2 or 1 week pass so you can get the feel for the place. The other thing you want to make sure that you invest some money in a professional trainer so that you can learn to use the equipment properly and proper form for lifting the weights, this will prevent injuries down the road.

If you are active in other activities (skiing, tennis, etc.), you want to make sure that you are working your muscles so that you are complimenting that sport. Another thing to consider is having your family doctor check you out so that you are not hurting yourself (heart and lungs). You want to find a gym where you are comfortable.

The best type of gyms are the ones that have all the equipment on one floor, make sure that the equipment is not crowded and disorganized. Make sure the classes (pilates, aerobics etc.) are isolated from the equipment area in a separate room. The reason for this is that the instructors often have microphones and their music can be loud and annoying and this can actually break your concentration while you are lifting weights. You also want to watch than amount of faculty and staff are in the gym and on the floor at one time. The more faculty and staff there are the more money your membership will cost. Currently I am at Gold's and I am on a perpetual month to month. You also can buy annual memberships.

Last edited:
im sure the YMCA is cheaper. im not in a gym, but YMCA just seems like it would be cheap. and im pretty sure they have a pool, weight set etc etc. even the junior high i went to had a recreational center, and it had a weight center in it.

Bally's does have a very restrictive low-cost plan -- but they try to upsell you a lot and it comes with a 3 year contract (generally) and a hefty upfront fee. I do really love their facilities though.

Some points of advise:

1) Join a gym that is motivating to you personally. I personally cannot work out at Bally's because most of the people there are there to look good and not to work out. I like the rougher gyms with more serious lifters.

2) Never sign up the first day you visit a gym. Always wait for the second or third visit. Once they see that you can walk away and that you are researching before you sign up, then they will be more likely to cut you a break on the price. Make sure that you talk to the same person each time.

3) Rates ARE negotiable. You just have to talk to the right people. Even if it is just talking to somebody that would know about upcoming promos.

4) If they do not offer family rates at the gym. Have one person sign up first and have the second sign up as a referal. Most gyms offer free months to members that refer other members. Use that to you advantage.

5) Rates fluctuate from around 20 dollars a month to 160 dollars depending on the facilities and location. Check out a couple locations in your area to see what is about right.

6) Sign up at the end of the month. Gym sales folks have quotas and are more deperate at that time.

7) Go to the gym when you plan on using it. See how busy it will be when you will be there (lunch, after work, etc). Avoid gyms that are over populated.

I hope this helps :)

24 hour gyms are great, by far my favorite. Usually small gyms will run around $20-40 a month that have just basic work out equipment. The fitness centers with pools, raquetball courts and things like that will easily run $80 a month though. It depends on what you are wanting out of the gym.

someone suggested seeing if your health insurance will give you a discount, that is a good idea and is something many health insurances are going to. Definatly worth checking into. Sometimes if you work for a decent size company they will also give you discounts or sometimes even pay for your membership

I would have to agree with RoRoCo and the info about Bally's, also avoid Premier, Both are superficial and they will rip you off. I have heard this from the members at my gym. If you have a Gold's nearby they are quite reasonable and they have a great variety of equipment. I find them to be very motivating too.

Well im getting a job at the Y in a few weeks here when i move to fargo. Maybe i can hook you up ;) BTW, excellent work getting in on a gym. Results come faster then some people say.

I'm at cardinal fitness, just joined and I like it. I go in the afternoon or early morning when no one is there. It was $99 to join and 20 a month, w/ no contract. I guess it depends on where you live and what the demand is.

personally, I think a gym is a waste of money.

You can do everything you need to do to get fit right at home.

As you progress, you can invest in some equipment like a good bench and some Olympic weights a squat rack etc etc. Overall you'll pay less than you would for gym memberships and you take away all the excuses not to work out because everything is always available.

hell you don't even need equipment. Calisthenics and body weight exercises are a tried and true way of getting in shape. Just ask the Navy Seals.

My wife and I joined The RUSH because we wanted to swim. It's $60/month for the both of us, but it has it's advantages, it's convienient locale, the pool is a great motivator, and being a beginner, I get to see what other people are doing and can work those excercises into my routine...

But Skull Pilot is right... I could have bought a full in-house gym for what this 3 yr membership is costing us, and it would be there for us to use for the rest of our lives.

these are all great suggestions.

my husband and i both have memberships to 24 hour fitness...if you have a family its nice because they have a "kids club" that provides child care so we can both workout at the same time or for me, in the mroning while he is at work :) also since we travel a lot its nice to be able to go to a gym wherever we are...gyms will sometimes help to movtivate people...one you paid for it, 2 you get to know people who expect to see you ther everyday and you can meet friends (for example today i forgot my ipod and it was my running day, luckily a few of my friends were there and i was able to run hold a conversation with them for the whole time thus making the time fly), 3 you can learn how to do things correctly (ie 24 fitnes really promotes training which i things lessens intimidation esp. in women first starting out0 4) they have awesome classes your wife might dig, too :)

good luck in your search...i think finding a perfect gym is liking finding a perfect home church...you just hafta know what you are looking for and feel welcome so youll continue to go--if you dont go what benefit is it to you? :)

I am sure you have found a gym by now, but for those that have stumbled across this post, there are great Gym and Health club specific directories out there that list gyms acording to the amenities and fitness classes you want. It really helps narrows it down and saves you a lot of time searching. Save the work out for the gym.

Here is a good resource... Worldwidegyms.com provides a complete directory of over 20,000 top rated gyms, fitness centers and health clubs each offering exclusive offers and discounts. Quickly and easily find gyms, health clubs and fitness centers in your area with .

Last edited:
Go As A Duo!

My wife and I recently joined Planet Fitness - very reasonable and you are charged monthly with no long term contract - three classes with a trainer are at no cost and you can take the small group classes as often as you want for no extra charge - when we went, we had the trainer to ourselves and she took us through a three day training routine - she showed us how each of the machines worked, how to set them up, and the weights that we should begin with - after three months at the primary location, you can transfer your membership to another one of the Planet Fitness facilities, which is great because we will soon be moving - clean facility, tvs to watch whils you do your cardio work, and trainers around to answer specific questions - no track or pool but we do not need that as we live in an adult commnity that offers those amenities - the spouse and I currently go together to provide encouragement but I am very comfortable there after four visits and can do the routines by myself - others working out are friendly if you need advice but do not bother you - give it a try!!

Back