Ideas to Lose Weight After Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

relishyou

First baby about to be born and I was just wondering how other woman were able to balance losing weight, taking care of a newborn, and work! How do you all do it? Any ideas?

1. Core Strength
Pregnancy can weaken some areas of the abs, not surprising when you consider there was a baby squished in there for nine months. You may be yearning to jump into an ab program complete with crunches and sit-ups, but your abs do need some TLC once your doctor has cleared you for exercise.

You may be wondering which exercises to do, and how much of them, in order to help lose fat around the belly. It's important to remember that you can't spot reduce fat from certain areas of your body with specific exercises. Getting flatter abs involves losing overall body fat with a combination of cardio, strength training and a healthy diet. Even then, you may still have a little fat around the lower belly. This is an area many women store excess fat, particularly after pregnancy, so try not to put too much pressure on yourself to get a flat belly.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing ab exercises, because you do need to strengthen the muscles that have stretched and possibly weakened during pregnancy. Some basic exercises you may want to start with include:

* Pelvic tilts
* Ball Crunches
* Back extensions
* Core Strength Exercises
* Modified plank
* Dead bug

Make sure you get your doctor's OK before you do these exercises, and start with one set of 10 to 16 reps of each exercise 2 to 3 times a week, adjusting that to fit what feels right to you. You can add sets or try more challenging exercises over time.

Keep in mind that if you have diastasis, a separation of the two halves of your rectus abdominis (the outer abs), you may need to modify your ab exercises.
How Do I Check for Diastasis?
2. Cardio
Along with core strength, you'll want to incorporate cardio into your routine, but you may not be able to do the same activities you were doing before -- at least, not for a while. High-impact exercises, such as running or aerobics, may not be comfortable as your body recovers. As one of my postpartum clients put it, "I feel like something critical is going to fall out every time I try to jog." When you're just starting out:

* Start slow and easy. Many new moms find they can tolerate walking, starting with about 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week. If you can handle more, try getting some kind of activity in every day.

* Stick with low-impact activities. If high-impact exercises don't feel good, try walking, swimming, working out on the elliptical trainer or other activities that aren't jarring on the body and joints. Over time, you'll find it easier to transition into higher-impact activities.

* Work at a moderate-high intensity, a level 5 to 6 on the perceived exertion scale. Allow your energy levels to guide you in your workouts, backing off if you feel tired or vice versa.

As you get stronger, you may want to up the intensity with interval training about once a week, which can help you burn more calories. You can also add a stroller to your walking routine, which is great for adding challenge while allowing you to exercise with the baby. Experts have found that you can burn 18 to 20% more calories if you walk while pushing a stroller. Pushing it up a hill will burn even more calories, and there are even baby-friendly exercise groups you can join, such as Stroller Strides or Baby Boot Camp.

Resources:

* Sara Holliday's Stroller Workout for Moms
* Stroller Strides Class Locations
* Baby Bootcamp Locations
* Pre- and Postnatal Exercise DVDs
* Walking with Baby
* Top 10 Jogging Strollers

3. Strength Training
Strength training is an important part of your weight loss program as well as your recovery. It can help you build lean muscle tissue, raise metabolism and give you the strength you need to take care of your baby.

Like the other activities, you'll want to start out slowly, even if you lifted weights before birth. Your body is still recovering, and it may be a little different than you remember. You might want to start with exercises to strengthen your core and stabilizer muscles while also working on your balance and flexibility. This Basic Ball Workout is a gentle routine that focuses on all those areas.

Personally, I just concentrated on the baby for the first 6 weeks or so. By six weeks I switched to formula feeding as I was really struggling with breast feeding and so I decided I could start my diet. At that point I had 13 pregnancy pounds to lose (20lbs came off in the first two weeks, but I don't really count those. They were all baby, water etc. The extra 13 was fat.)

I began eating 1200- 1800 cals a day - for me it really helps to vary it a bit, though I try to keep under 1500 for at least 4 or 5 days a week. I also did exercise videos, ran up and down the stairs or went to the gym and worked really hard. 10 lbs came off in the first month, and the remaining 3 a few weeks later.

As baby gets older I don't put as much time into exercise, but do get out for walks with him most days and get in a proper exercise session once in a while. I had a few more vanity pounds to lose, and it has continued to come off slowly and steadily.

Good luck!

It depends on the type of baby you'll have (one that sleeps and eats well or one that may not) plus how much help you have. We had a child that didn't sleep very much until about 6 months old and we had no family around closer than 1.5hrs away. I was exhausted and had breastfeeding problems so I was pretty much glued to the couch it felt. It wasn't until my daughter started sleeping well and everything finally started feeling like there was a routine to it did I give a thought to exercise or dieting (oh yea, breastfeeding made me devour alot so I had to make sure to munch on low cal foods like carrots and such instead of cookies, etc). I did take walks when I could (I tried to get in 2-3 good 30 minute walks in from 2 months on), but the reality was I got out when I could get out.

NOt trying to scare you, but just want you to realize that if you don't have the time or energy to jump right into working out, you'e not alone. Baby comes first and so do you, but that will most likely come in the form of SLEEP when you can.

To be honest, I'd concentrate the most on making sure you're eating a healthy, balanced diet so that your calories don't get out of whack and that you're fueling your body properly to help you be at your best through being a new mom. Then, once things start feeling more comfortable in your body and you're feeling like you can handle working out, try walking with the baby and doing weights while the baby naps.

Good luck!

L

I agree it depends on baby/help. I have a 2yo and 1yo twins and I'm still working on losing the baby weight lol. I gained about 50lbs or so with the boys and am having a hard time losing it. Part of my problem though is having 3 babies and basically no help! My fiance was working 2 jobs so he was gone all the time, then he just got a great job in NY so is gone for the month. I try to squeeze in workouts at nap time or right after the kiddies go to bed. (however my dog always thinks I wanna play so I have to fight with him too lol). I would also agree on starting off slow and definitely wait for your doctors ok. I have a couple work out videos that I'm finding I really enjoy and give a good workout.

1. Jillian Michaels 30 day shred: this one has 3 levels starting w/ beginner. Each level has 3 circuits and each circuit contains strength/cardio/abs. You do the warm up, then strength move, then the cardio, then abs then the next circuit starts over with strength etc.

2. 10 minute solutions w/ resistance band. This one offers 5 different workouts w/ resistance band that target say your lower body, your abs, your upper body, fat blasting and I think there was another lower body one.

I also really like Fit TV (I have DVR so I record the workouts that I want and can use and then I can do them when I have time)

Good luck and congrats on the little one!

Our midwife and plenty of books suggest that breast feeding will reduce your tum quickly and naturally (however that wasn't the case with my wife)

Weight Loss

Hi everyone,

Has anyone been to a weightloss bootcamp? Ive heard that they are really good at shedding the weight, and i dont seem to have the discipline to do it at home? ha ha

I have two kids and after my first I lost the majority of my weight by breast feeding. With my second child I gained 63 lbs and after a year I only lost 15 lbs. I started a cleanse product 6 months ago and I lost 44 lbs in the first 2 months and an additional 12 lbs since then. I can give you the name of the product if you send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back