I need upperarm mass, need safest ways of gaining

okay, so currently I'm not many steps away from considering my arms as an obstacle in life. I'm not really interested in massively bulked-up arms, I just want them at a normal size.

I haven't thought much of it before the last few years, but I've now realised that I'm extremely weak for my age. I got no problems with my legs, etc. it's just that my overarms feels the size of a 6 year-olds. I can't even do a pull-up. I also got problems popping wheelies on my mc, which I've come to the conclusion that it's my arms fault.

Any tips will be greatly appriciated,
I've got asthma if that's relevant.

I'm 1.82m tall/68.8 kgs

Horizontal push (eg push ups, bench press, dumbbell bench press, dips)
Vertical push (eg barbell overhead press, dumbbell shoulder press, seated shoulder press)
Horizontal pull (eg cable row, one-arm dumbbell row, barbell row)
Vertical pull (eg lat pull down, partial pull ups, assisted pull ups)

Take each basic movement, and pick one of the example exercises offered. 2-3 times a week, do 2-3 sets of each exercise for 8-12 reps per set. Over time, build up reps (ie start at 8, work up to 12 as the weeks go by) then increase weight/decrease assistance, return to 8 reps and build back up again.

Immediately increase energy consumption by 300kcal/day. At your weight, if you're physically active or training you should be consuming at least 1-1.2g protein/kg/day, so 70-75g minimum. Closer to 1.5-2.2g/kg/day would be more advantageous, so 100-160g/day.

I suffer from bad arms as well, but my reason is because I'm 6'5 and have terribly long arms. I have stated on this thread before that I was once curling 100lbs for reps and couldn't get my arms bigger than 18 inches around. I have a lot of area to cover, so when I put on muscle, it's more spread out, plus 18 inch arms don't look that big on a guy who's arms are 30 inches long. That was also when I was stuck in a 5x5 phase. I have since become a bit more educated.

I agree with Ryan. Work in a medium-higher rep range. I recently started a routine with one of the objectives of adding a bit more size back on my arms. My setsXreps are a bit different though. I'm doing my main set 8x8 with about 30-45 second rest periods in between reps. Anything after that, if I want to go up in weight, is purely a bonus. After my full 8x8 set, if I want to add 10 lbs to the bar and go for a 4x8 or 3x6 set, then that's great.

Assuming you have a well rounded workout now, I would tell you to get on the classic barbell curl for biceps. You can pack and control the most weight on a barbell, thus getting the best results, imo. I would also suggest chin ups for bi's as well. As far as triceps are concerned, I find that dips are fantastic for triceps. I'm saying this assuming that you don't have any shoulder problems or bone spurs in your collar bones. You just have to position yourself correctly. When people typically dip for their chest, they will lean forward shifting the weight onto their chest(Makes sense). When you dip for triceps, you will keep your body almost completely vertical so the bulk of the weight is on your shoulders and arms. If dipping isn't something you're used to doing, ease yourself into it to make sure it's something your body can handle. Diamond push-ups are also good for triceps size. People tend to overlook them because "They're just push-ups", but they're really not. The form of the exercise takes 80% of the weight off your chest and puts it into your arms. They're even better if you can get some weight on your back.

Hope any of that rambling helps.

Bodyweight exercises are a great way to not only gain upper body mass, but also functional coordination. Exercises like pull-ups, push-ups, and dips all require the majority of the body, with the arms being specifically stressed, to work in conjunction to perform the skill. If you are unable to perform these exercises then there are Bands that can assist you and are a great, cheap buy.

You can buy different resistance bands that are fully looped on amazon for a decent price. Just search pull-up bands.

Good luck

Back