I need help losing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Jake, welcome!

You are in a good place for support and advice. I started out much heavier (almost 23 stone) and older than you. Today I am approaching your 15 stone, and still trying to lose a bit more. If I can do this you can too.

My first piece of advice is to suggest you start a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page (https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/ ) and tell us more about yourself and your goals. Its the best place to get advice and support from others.

You will hear from people on the forum that whilst exercise is important for your health and an aid to weight loss, most weight loss comes through reduction in calories. No real way around that. Before I started this diet I would have said much of the same thing about vegetables, but now I eat a lot of them and like it.

My transformation came when I buckled down and decided that I was not going to let myself live on high calorie junk food any longer. I started what I thought of then as a "kickstart" diet, it was going to be just 3 weeks long of just 1,200 calories a day, no exceptions. I figured I could do that for 3 weeks. I quickly learned that without eating a lot of fruit and vegetables I could not keep from feeling hungry most of the time on a 1,200 calorie diet, so reluctantly I started eating some. After a time I started to like the veggies, and I learned which ones I liked better and how to better prepare them. Now I look back on that time as my withdrawal phase, it wasn't easy, but things got easier with time. Well the "kickstart" is now in month 10 and I am down about 7 1/2 stone. It has gotten much easier. If I can do this, you can too. I am no smarter than you, just older and uglier.

You are clearly wiser than I. I wish I had started this at age 21!

Best of luck to you, and I look forward to following your progress.

Hey Jake, welcome!

You are in a good place for support and advice. I started out much heavier (almost 23 stone) and older than you. Today I am approaching your 15 stone, and still trying to lose a bit more. If I can do this you can too.

My first piece of advice is to suggest you start a diary on the Weight Loss Diary page (https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/ ) and tell us more about yourself and your goals. Its the best place to get advice and support from others.

You will hear from people on the forum that whilst exercise is important for your health and an aid to weight loss, most weight loss comes through reduction in calories. No real way around that. Before I started this diet I would have said much of the same thing about vegetables, but now I eat a lot of them and like it.

My transformation came when I buckled down and decided that I was not going to let myself live on high calorie junk food any longer. I started what I thought of then as a "kickstart" diet, it was going to be just 3 weeks long of just 1,200 calories a day, no exceptions. I figured I could do that for 3 weeks. I quickly learned that without eating a lot of fruit and vegetables I could not keep from feeling hungry most of the time on a 1,200 calorie diet, so reluctantly I started eating some. After a time I started to like the veggies, and I learned which ones I liked better and how to better prepare them. Now I look back on that time as my withdrawal phase, it wasn't easy, but things got easier with time. Well the "kickstart" is now in month 10 and I am down about 7 1/2 stone. It has gotten much easier. If I can do this, you can too. I am no smarter than you, just older and uglier.

You are clearly wiser than I. I wish I had started this at age 21!

Best of luck to you, and I look forward to following your progress.
Thank you for the reply I will start my diary

Hi, Jake & a great big welcome to the forum. I don't think you could get a better example than Rob. He has learned to like vegetables & has transformed his life. If you read no other diaries, try to read his. Don't cut as many calories as him, though, I would suggest. What you eat (or don't eat) is more important for weight-loss. Exercise has lots of benefits, including making you feel better about life in general, but diet is the key. Look forward to seeing your diary :)

As has already been well said, diet is the key, you cannot exercise away a bad diet for weight loss. Where exercise is important, is general health and body composition, at 21 youth is on your side be being able to achieve good results.

Hello, there Jake! Good to have you here with us - and I totally agree with everything said by Rob, Cate and Tru, above! :D

Closing this thread as it attracts too much spam! :svengo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back