I need advice because of bad placement in special classes as a kid.(want to be normal

When I was in K-12, I was in special education classes for no reason at all. My mom knew I shouldn't be in there either, but the schools screw us over and my middle school teacher would not allow me to go into regular classes because he was a jerk. My mom told me that the reason why I was in special education when I was a little kid was because of my speech, which was stupid. I don't know why though that my mom didn't put me in regular classes when I was a kid. My mom is the one that had the choice to put me in regular classes and not let the school people put me in special education classes (those who have learning disabilities), but she never did anything about it until I realized I was not where I belonged in middle school. I was way behind the regular education students, my self esteem was low from immature people picking on me because I was in special education classes, and I looked stupid a lot from not knowing much or not really have any friends there for me to help me out. Mostly everyone was bullies to the kids that belonged to the special education program.

What can I do to get normal like everyone else? These people should not have done this to me and I should of been normal like everyone else if this didnt happen. My mom should not of went on with letting them putting me in special classes when I was a kid. Finally though, in my senior year at high school I was put into resource classes. Currently - I am a female in my 3rd year at college, 20 years old, majoring in graphic design (art field), trying to make a college sports team (softball or soccer) before I graduate, and almost done with my GE classes so I can focus on my major. When I pick my classes, I always use http;//ratemyprofessor.com and make sure the teachers I have are based on my level of learning due to the past. I make sure they have study guides before the tests and let us know what will be on the test, so I can know what will be on the test and study based on that. Because of my lack of reading comrephension (it is very low because I was screwed over as a kid) is not that good, I have trouble picking what to study so I really do need a good rating of the teacher and a good study guide to be able to do well on the tests.

Right now, I feel like I want to be normal like everyone else and I wish I can go back in time when I was a kid and replace special classes with regular classes so I can be normal like everyone else. My self-esteem has always been low, my reading comprehension is low, my vocabulary is not that great, and because of those 3 things, it effects my conversation with people and what I want to say or do and if I am saying the right things or not. I feel like I want to be alone all the time now and I havent been to church in a while. I use the internet to go on message boards for advice and things. At school when I am not in class or doing homework, I am always at the fitness center working out or on the track doing cardio/sprint work and training for the sport I want to tryout for.

Well your doing the right thing.

Anyone who is not great at reading writing and comunicating etc... will do well do post on forums. Most people just sit at home and watch TV. At least you are reading and writing.

In the UK we have open uni courses. Can you not do your basic exams again and work your way up? In the UK its about 200GBP to retake basic maths. You get sent the work, you have a tutor on the phone if you need it and it will take about 6-12 months.

How much would that cost? I don't think my mom would want to do that.

also when I am not on the computer or working out, I draw. I don't really like reading books, but if I start reading some, will my reading comprehension get better?

and how about my self-esteem and character, and be able to make good friends well (get out and do things) and conversate well? should I see a therapist? if so, how much does it range from?

How much would that cost? I don't think my mom would want to do that.

also when I am not on the computer or working out, I draw. I don't really like reading books, but if I start reading some, will my reading comprehension get better?

and how about my self-esteem and character, and be able to make good friends well (get out and do things) and conversate well? should I see a therapist? if so, how much does it range from?

Why would your mom have to agree to it? You're 20...

~Nicole

Dont know how much it would cost, I'm in the UK.

Yeah you'll do well to read. I was rubbish at reading when I was 16. I started off just reading really easy books, This was one of my faves when I started reading...

I would send it to you, but it would cost more to post than for you to just buy it.
Its a great book and really got me into reading.

nicole - I have no job, so I cant pay for anything if its real expensive.

R. Lewis - I am going to go to the bookstore area tomorrow at target and buy a book to read over spring break. I am going to find a book based on my life and stuff that I went through to help me with my character and stuff at the same time. how much do you think a day should I read? I also want to practice drawing, exercise, run, practice soccer, and read every day over my christmas break.

I had a similar problem growing up. I am in a wheelchair and they felt that i should be in special ed. Luckily i got out of it. The trick to enjoying reading is reading about things that interest you. If you can tell me some of your interests, im sure i can find you a book you will enjoy. Also there is nothing wrong with watching, The History Channel, Discovery, TLC. Channels like that really make learning fun, easy, and interesting. Plus if you talk about what you learned on those shows, you sound smart :) Also, your posts are more intelligently written than most so your comprehension cant be that low haha.

Back