i have club foot and need help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIAN RICHARD

I am 33 yrs old and have gained a lot of weight. I am 6 feet 3 inches tall and used to maintain weight around 275 lbs. I now weigh 450 - 500 lbs and am having a huge problem losing it. I have a severe case of club foot in my right ankle. my Achilles tendon on my right foot was removed when I was young. I have had a fusion in my ankle to hold it in place. I can not jog or run. I am not suppose to do anything thing excessive on it including walking. I have arthritis in it as well. I work a desk job 45 hrs a week. I drive between 1.25 - 1.5 hrs each way to work mon - fri. I also have a family that I have to take care of. it doesn't leave a lot of time to do much. I could use all the help or advice I can get. what can I do to lose weight? what kind of exercises can I do?

Yours is a long way to lose weight, but with a bit of dedication you can do it.
Figure out how many calories you can cut from your daily diet by first calculating the number of calories you should take in each day. Do this by searching online for a calorie calculator, then inputting your weight, height, age and activity level in order to know your calorie maintenance level. Your weight is a balancing act, and calories are part of that equation. Fad diets may promise you that counting carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit will make the pounds drop off. But when it comes to weight loss, it's calories that count. Weight loss comes down to burning more calories than you take in. You can do that by reducing extra calories from food and beverages, and increasing calories burned through physical activity.
Spend some time writing out all your meals, snacks, and beverages for a few days or a week. Allot a certain caloric amount for each meal. For example: 300-calorie breakfast, two 500-calorie bigger meals, and one to two 100-calorie snacks. This may help you choose what foods to eat for meals and snacks throughout the day. Include foods from all five food groups most days. Review your meal plan to make sure you're getting adequate amounts of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and dairy. Having all your meals and snacks planned in advance may keep you from making poor nutrition choices when you're in a rush.
Eat a balanced diet . A diet that is calorie controlled and includes all five food groups is a good foundation for healthy weight loss.Eat:
Fruits and veggies. These foods are dense, filling, low-calorie and low-fat. Not only are fruits and veggies great for your waistline they have copious amounts of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants that you need for long-term health.
Lean protein. Foods like poultry, eggs, pork, beef, legumes, dairy products, and tofu are great sources of lean protein. Protein will help keep you satisfied longer and may curb hunger cravings.
100% whole grains. Foods that are whole grains are high in fiber and some vitamins and minerals.

Snack healthy. Including one to two low-calorie snacks is appropriate when you're trying to lose weight. Many times, a snack will help support your weight loss. Healthy snacks include: 1/4 cup of nuts, one individual greek yogurt, a hard boiled egg or celery and peanut butter.

Choose healthier cooking techniques : Try cooking methods that use little to no added fat. Try: steaming, grilling, braising, roasting and poaching/boiling. Switch to extra virgin olive oil or canola oil. When substituted for saturated fats (like butter), these healthy monounsaturated fats can help to improve blood cholesterol levels, thereby reducing risk for heart disease and obesity.

Staying well-hydrated is also essential to weight loss. Many times, thirst can feel similar to hunger and trigger you to eat. Drinking enough fluids can help prevent this mistake and promote weight loss. Don't drink though ditch alcohol and sugary beverages.

It's a long way without exercise but if you decide to stick to a plan, you'll soon see results.

From the way you describe your physical condition swimming would be your best exercise and you can take the whole family too. Seek out your local YMCA or community recreation facility. The town I live in has pools though only a population of 8500 people... I am confident there is a pool somewhere in your community.

Massage is not exercising but a way to tone and stimulate your muscles. Sharing with your sweetheart, swapping massage with each other will help your experience of well-being, enliven your relationship and help your muscle tone and comfort.

I didn't deal with such a dramatic level of weight loss as you need but the principle is the same. Eating portion sizes needed for nutrition rather than self-indulgent pleasure. Most programs fail or are a real test of willpower because they don't seem to realize we usually eat for pleasure. Eating causes us to feel good. A program may fail because of this oversight but including it on your own will make any program successful. Using any program is easier than trying to do all the nutritional planning on your own.

Eating your program's prescribed meal then doing anything that causes you to feel joy will work. Feeling pleasure doing anything will cause your brain to be washed with the "Feel-Good" hormones that eating also causes. You are eating excess as a source of pleasure. The solution is finding your own unique sources of pleasure, and it can be anything. Simple affection will do it, living in an abundance of hugs and encouragement and praise because helping others to feel good will stimulate the feel-good hormones also. Generally being loving and enhancing what is positive in your family environment instead of making an issue of any seeming problems will also create the environment that is a pleasure. The support system of a family is a vital source of pleasure when joy and love is the focus.

After eating games with the family will cause the experience of the feel-good hormones that eating more would create and replace the need to fill the "Urge" for more and more. Letting your little ones love you by getting down on the floor and letting them pile on or "play wrestle" with you no matter the age. The physical play will cause these "Feel-Good" chemicals to be produced. Also having a conversation and including foolishness and laughter by encouraging playfulness in the sharing will help create these hormones.

Research it on the net, "Pleasure and Brain Chemistry" you will get your own ideas and the possibilities are endless... just doing what brings joy and feels good to you and those around you. Those around you because the "Feeling Good" is caused in others by just feeling it yourself, smiles really are contagious.

James Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back