I am curious!

Natalie2

Hi everyone,

I cannot imagine undergoing an operation without it being absolutely necessary. I would really like to hear from people, what they think about it and what would bring someone to taking such a drastic measure. I believe that it is not only wrong, but dangerous as well. Come on guys, you're experimenting with your body - the only one you have. What if something goes wrong? The doc makes a mistake? The anesthesia goes wrong? It scares me to even think about it. Please correct me if I am wrong - I would love to hear someone elses opinion.

I can understand the apprehension, but for some people they believe it to be the only option. It may sound different, but how is it different from someone going in for plastic surgery ... the goals are the same. I would prefer someone to spend a lot of time exhausting all other options first, but I wouldn't rule out the option completely.

I have to agree with Natalie, I couldn't imagine going for an operation just to look 'better'. I would never go for plastic surgery either, but then I have to admit - i don't have any scars or other disfigurations, so it's probably easier for me to say that I wouldn't do it. I's love to hear from someone that might be able to tell us what it's really like

that's actually true - it's easy for me to make a statement like that. I am not overweight and also don't have any problems that would need plastic surgery. Actually I was thinking more the type of surgery like breast enhancement or a nose job, if it is just for looks and not for health reasons.

Its very easy for people that are not over weight to say they wouldnt think about having the surgery. But for people like me that weigh 312 lbs and have been overweight all my life its not a hard concept to grasp. I have been on diet after diet and still have not been able to lose weight. Drs cant find out why I cant lose weight. I've done EVERYTHING I am suppose to do. I eat right and exercise right but still dont lose. Now, I'm having trouble breathing at night. Sometimes I even quit breathing. Being this overweight is a slow suicide. So, for some, surgery is actually giving them back their lives. I know of several people that have had this surgery and have excellent outcomes. I have researched this surgery and am also looking into having this surgery done. Its not just looking better its also being healthier. Being this overweight is a sever strain on your heart, lungs and entire body. For some people its the last chance they have to get their lives back, be healthy and actually live life.

hi whiamy4,

what operation are you thinking off? I know that there are several different options available. I don't have any knowledge about the options out there, but I am very interested if you are willing to share your experience. I am positive that other forum users will benefit as well.

I'm looking into having the Lapband surgery done. This surgery is were they go in and put a band around the stomach. They dont actually go in and cut your stomache or re-route any intestines. The other surgeries that are offered can be researched on Obesityhelp.com. This website goes into detail about all the different surgeries that are done, what the risks are and what the side effects are from the surgeries. Hope I've been helpful.

hey there,

thank you for the update. I will go and check that site out, then my comments on this subject will be a little more educated, although I still won't know how it feels like, when you exhausted all other options and see no other way. I hope you will be staying with us and give us your insight and maybe we can still help and support you on your way to a healthier life.

Back