How to fit HIIT into my daily routine?

Hi there!

I´m really interested in starting w/HIIT and I have found in this forum very complete information!!! But I don´t really know how to fit it into my daily routine. :confused:

Currently I do a one hour weight lifting with a personal trainer 4 times a week, followed by 30 or 40 mins of cardio (60% - 70%, stairs and elliptical) On my days off, I swim for one hour and then 30 minutes of cardio (60% - 70%) in the elliptical. Once in while I take a yoga class instead of doing cardio (when I need some relax :) )

The thing is that I have already paid one year of at the swimming pool place so cannot just quit swimming. So I was thinking of doing a 25 mins HIIT sessions 4 times per week after weights and leave the days off as they are but I have read in here that it´s better not to do it after weights.

Or maybe doing it on my days off before swimming (that´s 2 days) and do it after training the upper body (another 2 days)

What is your advice????

Thanks ;)

I want to urge you to make sure you're getting enough carbs. The cardio would be better suited after weight training because you'll be closer to being glycogen depleted which leads to a better fat burning potential.

I would go ahead and do your 4 days as you have them and use two days for your swimming and take one day off. The four days of an hour of weight training and 40 minutes of cardio is a bit high for my tastes and I'd down the weight training and keep the cardio at 30 minutes but if you're enjoying it, that's the most important issue.

The cardio is good for active recovery and reducing lactic acid accumulation.

Thanks for your quick answer!!! ;)

I think I didn't explain myself very well. Mi idea is to replace the cardio sessions with HIIT. Do you think it will be a idea instead of doing 40 or 30 mins of cardio at a low hear rate, doing just a 20 mins HIIT session?

Fil, I want to loose some fat. My current fat% it´s 17

Just in case: I´m 30 year old female, 118 lb / 5.2"

I´mlooking forward to knnow your opinion, Thanks a lot!

Ohhhh...I would actually divide up your cardio sessions and do a majority of them as HIIT and the rest as steady state. So, you might try 3 HIIT sessions and 1 steady state session.

Back