How to buy the right running shoes?

Running shoes is one of those items. No matter how much you read about certain shoes—including reviews—you simply can’t make a good decision without having your needs analysed by a professional fitter and actually running in the shoes. With your health and hobby both at risk of being sidelined, is it worth the guesswork to shop online?

Before you even slip your foot into a running shoe, here are some factors to consider:

How often do you run? How many kilometers do you run per week?
How high is your arch? Are you flat-footed?
Do you overpronate (foot rolls inward) or oversupinate (foot rolls outward)?
How much do you weigh?
What kind of surface are you running on?

The best way to match you to the right running shoe is through a thorough gait analysis. Don’t underestimate the importance of this step because I’ve seen people with very similar body types and foot size, but with very different running styles. Had they been fitted with the same shoes, only a few would have escaped common injuries from poorly fit running shoes, like stress fractures, shin splints, heel pain, blisters, and black toenails.

After the gait analysis, the fitter measures your foot and then watches your running form. Remember that your normal shoe size is not equivalent to running shoes, and that sizing varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Thank God. I am having a lot of problem in selecting right running shoes. I am running for 3 months but i am not able to adjust myself with any shoe i bought. I have bought 4 running shoes in this period but none of them suits me but your post have helped me allot. Thank you for this information.

I have a problem with find running shoes because my feet are EEE. I read an article that gave me a new perspective on things to look for when buying running shoes. The article is:

I hope this gives you some insight that you did not think about before,

Irun100s

hey..i have the same problem in buying the right running shoes..i am a cardio freak but no matter what sjoe i buy i always end up having an ankle injury while running..i am not a brand freak but do brands really matter? pls advice

this is very important for ruining that your shoes would good and have very low weight and comfortable for ruining if your shoes is bad then you will not run properly

You are right. Changing shoe time to time is very important too. I have seen lots of people who has been wearing same shoe for long period of time and bring lots of leg's problem into their life unintentionally. Especially athletes should follow this rule as they run professionally.

This is such a small but important stuff for running and we should pay careful attention while buying new pair of shoe.

Hi guys! I am running over a year, mostly on the treadmill, and I really need to buy a new pair of running shoes because my knees have really started to complain. I have a saucony pair which is ok but I think I can do better. Everyone says Asics are the best for running but I am also considering Adidas Boost. I am between those 2 pairs below, I would really appreciate an expert's advice, which do you think is the best choice??

Hi guys! I am running over a year, mostly on the treadmill, and I really need to buy a new pair of running shoes because my knees have really started to complain. I have a saucony pair which is ok but I think I can do better. Everyone says Asics are the best for running but I am also considering Adidas Boost. I am between those 2 pairs below, I would really appreciate an expert's advice, which do you think is the best choice??

Hey ChristinaV! Shoes are a pretty individual item and everyone has different preferences as well as needs when it comes to shoes for exercise. Do you have a store in your area that specializes in running? That would likely be the best place to start as they can analyze your gait (the way you walk/run) and give you the best suggestions for the type of shoe that would work for you.

I loved Saucony Progrid Guides for a long time, but the last time I went to buy them, they seemed too different and they were not working for me. The staff member at the running store I went to was amazingly helpful and ended up getting me into a New Balance Vazee, which I now love!

That being said, keep in mind that it could just be that you need to replace your shoes more often if you are running regularly. A year of regular use may just mean that the foam has broken down too much.

Hey ChristinaV! Shoes are a pretty individual item and everyone has different preferences as well as needs when it comes to shoes for exercise. Do you have a store in your area that specializes in running? That would likely be the best place to start as they can analyze your gait (the way you walk/run) and give you the best suggestions for the type of shoe that would work for you.

I loved Saucony Progrid Guides for a long time, but the last time I went to buy them, they seemed too different and they were not working for me. The staff member at the running store I went to was amazingly helpful and ended up getting me into a New Balance Vazee, which I now love!

That being said, keep in mind that it could just be that you need to replace your shoes more often if you are running regularly. A year of regular use may just mean that the foam has broken down too much.

Hi! This is very helpful thank you very much for all the advice!!

I know that it's been a while since you were asking for help on selecting shoes... did you end up finding new ones in the meantime?
Not yet I want to really find the right pair because by knees are really starting to complain but I think I will end up with Saucony or Asics.

I see. Do you have a store that specializes in running in your area? They are usually such a big help. Big box stores can sometimes be knowledgeable, but I find them more hit or miss.

Yes I understand. There is a store specialized at running shoes & clothing but I haven't visited yet to be honest it's not that close to my place. I will consider going there as well though. I would first like to take an advice from a physiotherapist as well because of my knees.

Yes I understand. There is a store specialized at running shoes & clothing but I haven't visited yet to be honest it's not that close to my place. I will consider going there as well though. I would first like to take an advice from a physiotherapist as well because of my knees.

Seeing a physiotherapist for your knees is a great idea!

Back