How much exercise is too much to lose weight win chronic illnesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strifechick

Ok this is a long post so please bear with me:

I have several chronic conditions which cause a lot of problems for me, throughout my treatment I have been put on a lot of medications and I have gained a lot of weight as side effects.

I am currently unable to work a real job because of my health issues, but they are somewhat intermittent so when I am having "good days" I tend to hit the gym, and pretty hard, and I am not sure if I am over working my body because the symptoms that I read about that are the same that I had to begin with.

In general I have been feeling better I think but I lost 10lbs in a month and then just stopped losing weight and even gained a couple pounds back.

I limit my calories to around 1200 a day (I will sometimes go up to about 1500 but rarely much higher). And my typical gym work outs include:
- 30 minutes on elliptical
- 30 minutes on treadmill (alternating a few minutes of jogging then walking)
- 10 minutes on the stair stepper
- 30-50 minutes of weights
- 30 minutes on the stationary bike
- 30 more minutes on the elliptical
- Additonaly if it's nice out I will got for walks outside either on top of all this or sometimes replace some of the cardio.
It sounds like a lot but I am rarely sore/fatigued afterwards (no more than I would typically feel day to day with my normal conditions before started the gym).

I will do this regime everyday I feel well enough to go out, sometimes I will feel quite physically terrible but due to anxiety issues I need to get away and I don't have anywhere else to go but the gym. So the fequency can be as high as 7 days a week or as low as 3ish.

Just for the record the main medical issues that cause my problems are:
* Chronic migraines (which is what prevents me from working a normal job and doing a lot in the world)
* Insomnia
* Fibromyalgia
* Depression/Anxiey
* Chronic Pain (back issues and some nerve problems)
* Asthma
* RLS/PLMD
* IBS/Reflux

I started working out because I was told exercise would help my pain issues/fibromyalgia, insomnia, and for some people can help with migraines (though it's a trigger for others), plus it can lower depression and anxiety symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back