How much Cardio do I need?

georgeatt

Currently going to the gym every day.
I do about 30 minutes of treadmill alongside 45 minutes of other exercises including weights. I was wondering if 30 minutes cardio a day is enough considering I am currently 134 kg and 176 cm.

Initially, I was around 145 kg, around 2-3 months ago, but my weight loss has kind of stagnated and has become a lot harder now, not sure if I need to put more work into it. I was also advised to take whey protein since I do a lot of weights regardless of my weight and have been physically strong from a young age due to physical labour/going to the gym even when younger.

What is your opinion on the matter? Should I do more cardio? Maybe try to do 1 hour instead?

Also, some of my friends suggested i take creatine on my weight loss journey in order to retain my muscles, what is your opinion on that?

My recent month progress went like this:
Week 0: 140.5 Week 1: 137.8 Week 2: 137.1 Week 3: 134.7 Week 4: 134.3

Not sure what to do to speed up my progress without hurting my gains at the same time.
Also, any advice on feeding?

Currently, I am focusing mostly on protein intake, eating only lentils, chicken or lean cuts of meat with broccoli and rice. Trying to pretty much to avoid all fatty foods/fat.

For weightloss the number 1 most important thing is HOW MUCH you eat. How many calories. I wouldn´t be able to overeat on lentils, lean meat, broccoli, and rice but I know plenty of people who could. Do you track your calories at all? Exercise is great for your health and weight training while losing weight can definitely help you keep some more of your lean mass but in the end it´s mostly down to calories in, calories out. Given your high protein, high meat diet you probably need neither whey protein nor creatine, tp be honest.

For weightloss the number 1 most important thing is HOW MUCH you eat. How many calories. I wouldn´t be able to overeat on lentils, lean meat, broccoli, and rice but I know plenty of people who could. Do you track your calories at all? Exercise is great for your health and weight training while losing weight can definitely help you keep some more of your lean mass but in the end it´s mostly down to calories in, calories out. Given your high protein, high meat diet you probably need neither whey protein nor creatine, tp be honest.

I currently eat a max of 1.3k calories a day, going up to 1.5k on days I exercise more. When I am not exercising I drop it to around 1000 a day, in case gym is closed or I have something to attend to.

I think perhaps one of my main issues is maybe over-eating on days I feel tired but I Don't feel like I do that often. I could perhaps keep a diary.

I don’t believe creatine will help preserve muscle. Creatine is involved in the process of bringing ATP(energy) to the muscles This helps you work out a little harder and a little longer.

To preserve muscle try to not lose weight to quickly (not more than 1% of your body weight per week) and eat adequate protein while you’re cutting.( about a gram of protein per pound of body weight)

Slow and steady wins the race.

1500 kcal/day at your current weight and activity level is nowhere near enough to keep your muscle mass. And you should be dropping weight quickly, even if you have just lost 10 kg. By the way: rereading your first post I see it´s only been this last week that your weight drop hasn´t been huge: that´s nothing to worry about. Probably ate more sodium the day before weigh-in or something and holding on to excess water as a result. Overeating on tired days sounds more worrying: keeping a diary to know how often you do this and how much you overeat by could be very insightful. This forum has a diary section Weight Loss Diary which incidentally is the most active part of our little community. I´d love to see you start your own thread!

Back