How can I do HIIT at home?

Hi, I just had a baby almost 7 months ago. I have lost all of my baby weight, but have been left with a lot of body fat that I am currently trying to loose!! I have been walking on the treadmill 4 times a week for 30 - 45 min. and doing stregth exercises 3 times a week 25 - 30 min. (I am only provided with hand weights) so i usually do squats and such things.

My question is... How can I get a HIIT workout at home with a treadmill, should I just hang it up at home and take it to the gym? Please be specific with your answers Im new.

The only limit is your imagination.

Try sprinting up the stairs then walking down again. (Dont run downstairs-could be dangerous)

And if you are talking about interval training, doing a set of whole-body drills such as squats or lunges then resting and starting again is virtually the same as HIIT in the way it affects HRate.

Id highly recommend burpees. There are countless variations of them that you can do as well to really mix it up and make things interesting. They can be hell though :cool:

Also, Id say forget the treadmill and head out to the road. Start off with maybe 2-3 minutes of a slow jog(maybe a little more time, this is what I find to work best for me), then sprint pretty hard for 15-20 seconds, 1 min slow jog, 15-20 seconds sprint, 1 min slow jog. etc. The times can be adjusted based upon your fitness level, so as you get into better condition, increase the duration of the sprint.

You could do this on a treadmill, but unless it has a setting for intervals, it can be a pain in the rear. I also find running outside to be more entertaining overall, you cant beat nature for the scenery.

Thats for sure about outside and scenery, I hate the treadmill, it is just so cold and I have asthma. What are burpees??

HIIT at Home

The number of ways to do HIIT at home are endless. There have already been some good suggestions, such as burpees (start with the basics if you are intimidated by adding the push, jump, or chin up to them), sprints, stair running, etc.

You can also try jump roping, hill repeats, swim sprints, shuttle sprints, bodyweight cardio, metabolic resistance training, kettlebell swings / snatches /clean and presses, jumps, etc. Phew!

The real issue is the duration of the active and recovery intervals you choose. A lot of trainers use 30, 45, 60, and even 90 second intervals, and I have been no different in the past.

However, I came across a study where the researchers compared different HIIT protocols with different durations. They found that 8 seconds activity followed by 12 seconds recovery for 20 minutes actually resulted in the greatest amount of fat loss.

The best part is that when the participants performed the intervals in this manner they actually lost fat specifically in their stomachs. What a shock considering we have all been saying for so long now that "there is no such thing as spot reduction"!

So whatever you do, just make sure you are working hard, about a 7 or 8/10 on a difficulty scale and then stop or slow down during your recovery interval.

Just be careful, HIIT is no joke and if you are just beginning you should start slowly and increase your intensity and duration over time.

Good luck,

Susan Campbell, MS, CSCS
WorkoutsForHome.com

You can do HIIT at home, no problem. There is a beginner's program for it in this section. It is hard at first to do if you're not used to running, however, it is great calorie cruncher and you feel awesome afterwards

Back