Hot Yoga for Runners?

I've been looking through articles and scientific journals, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

I've recently tried hot yoga and really enjoy it. However, I'm a competitive long distance runner, and I've been told that regular hot yoga isn't recommended for runners due to some bad strain on the knees. Does anyone know if there's any actual reasoning behind this, or is it just a load of craw? I'm just concerned since I already have overuse injuries in my knees and don't want to make them worse.

I know that as long as the knee-strain thing isn't an urgent issue that hot yoga will help my leg injuries a lot. (They're mostly due to inflexibility.)

If it'll HELP with your leg injuries, then it probably won't HARM your knees at the same time. I don't know anything about hot yoga (I always thought the "hot" prefix just meant 18-25 year-old hot girls in yoga pants), but an activity that rehabilitates old injuries, so long as it's done within reason, will also help prevent new injuries.

Thanks Goldfish. Yeah, I talked to the yoga instructor, and apparently the knee thing is just a common misconception.

And the "hot" refers to the 40 degree temperature in the room. ;)

Back