Home Made Weight Jacket?

While jogging last week I got caught in a flash rain for about 15 minutes. Jogged through it and after the rain the humidity, thick air, heat and (i'm assuming this is the biggest factor) the extra 5-10 lbs I recieved thanks to soaked clothing made the mile almost impossible. I was dying. And I'm no long distance runner but I can do 2-3 miles and feel better.

So should I start soaking my t-shirts before a run while the weather is still nice? I heard people talk about weight vests/jackets or whatever they're called. Would this accomplish the same goal without a draw back? Just the t-shirt, since soaked shorts might hurt my movement. Figure a 5 pound t-shirt might have a small positive impact?

5 lb shirt? I don't think so, maybe 3 if it's dripping wet...but I think you were tired that day due to the heat and humidity, not the weight of the shirt. There are such things as weighted vests, but you probably don't want to run with them, as they may cause injury when you're bouncing up and down for a few miles.

They would help if you are training for up hill runs as it conditions your legs for the task of moving upwards and saves you a lot of trip and training hours. As for the run, I think its more of technique rather than strength. I am not an expert but I do run - and its all about focus and training on cardio and techniques rather than weight.

Injuries would also be troublesome and a high possibility if you want to run with 5 lbs on your back. I have tried running downhill with a pack that heavier than 5 lbs because we were trying to catch a bus from a hiking trip. It was such a pain.

Back