Home exercise equipment

Trusylver

Sport and Exercise Coach
Staff member
In an attempt to liven up this section of the forum a little, What is your favourite pieces of equipment for exercising at home or favourite tip for exercising on a budget at home ?

While currently going through the process of building a home gym, I can certainly attest to how expensive it can be, but here I want to focus on home exercise on a low budget.

A rake :D

A house with stairs is built-in exercise equipment - so are flats where you have to go upstairs to get to your front door. I know this is baby stuff, but I often deliberately make several trips when I'm transporting a load of things that could be done in one trip by carrying more bits at once, to make it four times the walking. (Anyway, less chance of dropping things!)
Oh, and cans of beans or whatever can be stand-in weights, for small weights.

I usually just need a mat but I have an equalizer which really helps to keep my shoulders well-behaved. When I use it, that is :p

i've got a 3 floor condo.... steps..!

actually i look for stairs vs taking the elevator most places i go.

i've still got a really big rubber band- type material loop left over from my knee implant therapy. it would be a good resistance-type piece of equipment. it was free to me, but it couldn't be very expensive to put something like that together.

Last edited:
I put about 1500.00 into my home gym, if I were 20 years younger I would have doubled that number in equipment. Bottom line is Resistance Bands are very cheep and simply priceless, you can spend 200.00 and already have 1/2 of your home gym.

5 gallon buckets, gallon paint cans or milk jugs (filled with water/sand), bags of animal food, bales of hay, a pull up bar, a jump rope, a padded mat for the floor, a sledge hammer & old tire (or wedges/maul & wood rounds to split), etc

All you need is a TRX

Back