HIIT- High Intensity Interval Training

Ok...I really need some input on this one. I keep reading about High Intensity Interval Training, and how doing 20 minutes of intense cardio is better than longer sessions. I just can't buy it though! I did Body For Life 4 years ago and just didn't feel that 20 minutes was enought (and yes- I pushed myself). Has anyone had success with 20 minutes of cardio, 3 times a week?

I read "ABSolution" last night, that's what brought it up again.
I currently do an hour of cardio, 4-6 days a week and usually train in intervals for the full hour, although sometimes I will do steady-state cardio instead.

I would love some input on this...

i'm trying it now. i started working my way into it in april but i began full time last week. at the end of april i was 182 at 22% bodyfat. at the end of last of month i was 181 at 19% bodyfat. so far so good. :)

i do 10 minutes on either the bike or treadmill but i want to start doing jumping rope and stadiums also. i warm up for 5 minutes then go after it. i do 30 second intervals right now. i go all out as hard as i can go then slow it down to recover then repeat.

its hard thats for sure. what kind of cardio were you doing?

Hey

I usually do the elliptical trainer or stationary bike. Sometimes I mix it up. I honestly think it's different for guys though. It seems like you can get away with less cardio.Do you agree?

well, eh maybe, i think it varies from person to person, lifestyle, job, stress, age, etc

years ago when i was in my twenties i could get away with less cardio. i had a very active job and hardly did any cardio. now, i have a desk job where i sit on my butt for 10-12 hours a day and i'm now in my thirties.

i believe its very basic, take in less calories than you consume and make those calories count. no special diets or ab machines or fat burners. hit the cardio and the weights and you'll do fine.

what do you think? :)

agree..

I agree completely. That's why I don't understand how he can advertise something like that without it being valid in some way. Have you checked out the web site? Look on and you can see pics of him. And he supposedly lifts only 3 times a week, and only 2 exercises per body part per day. He claims to not even lift for calves!!

It just drives me nuts. I mean, I've finally figured out what I need to do in order to maintain my desired weight, in it sure is a lot more that what he does!!! Ha!

HIIT works, but it requires 6-8 repetitions of 100% all out for 15-30 seconds, with 1-2 minutes of walking or jogging in between. Takes 20 minutes, 3 times a week. Of course, best overall results are had by spending 20-30 minutes 3-6 other times a week doing some kind of resistance training. I do 30 minutes of weight training first thing every morning and 20 minutes of HIIT 3 afternoons a week. It's working for me and I'm 50.

Thanks...

So you do your interval training on the treadmill then?? Do you try other machines as well? I'm glad it's working for you. Like I said, I tried it 4 years ago and I didn't really lose much fat from it. Maybe I should just try again.
Thanks for the input!!

yea, i know of shawn phillups. different things work differently for different people, thats true.

its true that some ppl get results so much faster than others. they do have to work hard for it, but the results come quick. i hate it when they say that you can achieve the same unbelieable results they did in the same amount of time.

sorry but it doesnt work like that. if only we all know that when we first started we could have saved ourselves alot of wasted time, you know.

dswithers, how long have you been working out?

Off and on since I was 12. I started because I was the scrawniest kid in town, a classic ectomorph. I never weighed more than 170 pounds until I turned 30 then I gained 70 pounds in about a 4 year span. Decided 240 was too heavy for 5'10". Now I go about 205. Still need to loose a couple of more percent body fat. That's this years goal. I would guess I 'm around 12%, want to get down to 8%. No hurry, I plan to do this for at least another 50 years or more!

I am benched due to a strain right now, but I was doing HIIT. I was sprinting a hill for 30 to 45 seconds than walking down to the bottom and starting over 3 times I plan to work up to 7 times. Then I walk/jog home and jump rope. It feels like it is going to work, but I haven't been doing it long enough to tell. I can't believe they only expect one to do 3 days of cardio. I prefer 5 days with 3 of them HIIT and 3 days of strength. Is that too much?

Last edited:
Hill sprints are a great way to do hiit (6-8 repetitions of a 100 yard up hill dash), but you loose most of the benefit if you jog home, jump rope or do it more than 3 times a week. If you must do some LSR (long slow run) cut back to 2 hiit sessions a week and do a 6-12 mile run on the third day.

Remember the benefit of hiit is not how many calories you burn doing it, but how much HGH is released into your body AFTER you are done. So jog/walking home and rope skipping after hiit just defeats its main benefit! And doing it more than 3 times a week or doing other cardio also reduces this effect.

Train smarter NOT harder or longer!

just go fast for a bit then slow for a bit.

Back