HIIT - done right?

Just finished my 4th session or so of HIIT, however, I've been wondering if I've been doing it correctly:

First session: 30 second sprint, 90 second walk. 6 sets.
Second session: 30 second sprint, 90 second walk. 7 sets.
Third session: 30 second sprint, 70 second walk. 8 sets
Fourth session: 30 second sprint, 60 second walk/light jog. 8 sets

By the end of the sessions, it feels like I'm about to collape, throat feels dry, lungs are going to explode, bad headache, and slight nausea.
Also, I don't seem to sweat much, compared to 30+ minutes of steady state cardio, but I do however, feel like I'm working much harder.

So I'm wondering, is this how HIIT is supposed to feel (if I'm even doing it correct), or am I just not pushing hard enough?

Thanks.

Use kettlebells, even more effective than sprinting, and less impact on the joints. Try snatches for HIIT! . Check out my website for free tuturials and workouts! Good luck

By the end of the sessions, it feels like I'm about to collape, throat feels dry, lungs are going to explode, bad headache, and slight nausea...

That is exactly the result you want to achieve! Keep it up! Remember the sprint portion (high intensity interval) should be 100% as fast as you can go, and should end as soon as you have to slow your pace down at all! You also seem to have the right idea of gradually reducing the low intensity intervals to increase the degree of difficulty. Also, remember, you only need to do HIIT 2 times a week to get the maximum benefit from it.

Back