HIIT by running on the spot?

Hi,

I would like to start HIIT, but I am not able to get outside to do it. I was wondering if I can use running on the spot instead?

Thanks

You could try it but I don't think it would work as well. What about jumping rope HIIT style?

I think it would work - so long as you didn't cheat yourself. It's about heart rate and intensity so I don't see why it wouldn't.

I have started to alternate between jumping rope and walking on the spot, I am so bad at jumping rope! But I will work my way up :)\

Thanks for your help.

Jumping Rope is a great HIIT workout if you try to go as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then rest for 30 seconds. For most people, your heart rate will lower just a bit during the resting, and then you'll kick it back up again. Try to find a good rhythm to jump to, like counting a beat in your head. This will help with the jump rope turns. Go as fast as you can, as controlled as you can, for the 30 second periods.

Hope this aids you,
Rick Karboviak

Heh, running, skipping, who cares.

Jumping rope is also a SPECTACULAR workout for your calves and axial skeleton. I know people whose exercise plan consisted solely of jumping rope. It can be intense as you make it.

The best way to run in place is to hold your hands out in front of you about solar-plexus level, and then as you run, touch your knees up to your hands (move them up even higher than this if you can). It does look somewhat ridiculuous, but its the best way to get a good workout running in place (and I know this doesn't apply to you, but it's a great warmup for an actual run). You also want to do it fairly quickly, to keep the intensity up.

I haven't tested my physical fitness in a while(but I assume its not that great) and I still find it hard to acheive a high-intensity while jump roping without doing double-unders. So if you can, try to work on those, they wear me out after about 25 double-unders or so.

Back