help plz

millyrhys

hi all i'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice/direction please .
I am currently trying to decide what to do for the best . i had the balloon fitted in jan 2010 and have lost no weight,well i did but it's crept back on now,went for my check up last week to be told if i dont lose a stone by july then i will get no more surgery so im trying hard now. i have to decide do i get the gastric bypass done in july when they take the balloon out or do i wait as i have a family holiday booked for sep 16th so reaisticly it's quite soon after i would be having the surgery, the surgeon said the ony prob he can see is the risk of dehydration and i may not get insurance however i have found some very reasonable insurance but the thing that is worrying me is that i wil be flying so soon after surgery, i normaly have to inject bood thinning agent when i f'y due to my size and family history . what woud people advise ? Do i wait till after my holiday which will be 3 more months or do i take the risk? what will i be able to eat in the first few months after the op ???/ thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you will be able to...

Just curious....can you give us your stats???

Do you think surgery is your only option here? Have you really given "eat less/move more" a chance??? I think its the best way to go!

hi all i'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice/direction please .
I am currently trying to decide what to do for the best . i had the balloon fitted in jan 2010 and have lost no weight,well i did but it's crept back on now,went for my check up last week to be told if i dont lose a stone by july then i will get no more surgery so im trying hard now. i have to decide do i get the gastric bypass done in july when they take the balloon out or do i wait as i have a family holiday booked for sep 16th so reaisticly it's quite soon after i would be having the surgery, the surgeon said the ony prob he can see is the risk of dehydration and i may not get insurance however i have found some very reasonable insurance but the thing that is worrying me is that i wil be flying so soon after surgery, i normaly have to inject bood thinning agent when i f'y due to my size and family history . what woud people advise ? Do i wait till after my holiday which will be 3 more months or do i take the risk? what will i be able to eat in the first few months after the op ???/ thanks in advance

I can't tell you vvhat you should do, but if it vvas me I vvould postpone the bypass until after my holiday trip. It is one thing to get insurance, it is another issue to get the care you need depending on vvhere you travel too, don't kid yourself, the precaution of insurance doesn't alvvays guranttee that things vvill run smoothly.
There are the risks of post-op complications and also the risk of DVT, clotting and if you are already predisposed, that is a risk.
If you do book the trip ,make sure you also have cancellation insurance. VVould your family still go on vvithout you?, or vvould they need to cancel as vvell?, another risk,
VVhere are you travelling too???
I have not had gastric by-pass so maybe others vvho have can comment hovv they vvere feeling in that three month period. I knovv the sense of urgency, vvanting to get on vvith it, but i vvould definitely give lots of thought, vvhich obviously you are.
All the best,
Drul

Back