Help me begin running please

I've recently decided that cardio might be what I need instead of weight training, mostly because I can't do a push-up and have no weights. So I looked up 'how to begin running' on google and the suggestion was for a beginner to run twenty minutes a day, with 4 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.

So I went to my road, set my stop watch and ran, or something that felt like running to me at least. I started out at a run, then it devolved into a stumbling run, then a sort of jog, then a stumbling fast walk, then a slow walk and then I just had to stop complete, I was short of breath, my chest hurt and the muscles around my ankles and above them, kind of felt like what a muscle feels like when you stretch it after waking up but lot less pleasant. Ironically it felt a lot like what it feels like when I've been sitting too long and need to stand and walk. I checked my stop watch at this point, and just over two and a half minutes had elapsed. So I panted for a while and tried again, this time I decided I would just do a fast walk, I lasted for another thirty seconds. Then I tried again at a slow walk I occasionally would burst into a short run on, this got me to 5 minutes ten seconds, then I stumbled inside and collapsed in a chair, my breathing was getting raspy at this point. After an hour I recovered and decided to try again. I started off at a jog this time, I had devolved into a walk after about 2 minutes and by 8 minutes 40 seconds.(I hadn't reset my stop watch yet) I felt this massive pain at a 45 degree angle to my left back and side. And now I'm starting to wonder if twenty minutes is even possible for a beginner. So I decided to come and post my situation on some exercise forums to see if I was doing anything wrong.

Start slower!!
Or, at least, with less sustained efforts. I think a big problem lots of beginners have is too much too soon, and that's exactly what this sounds like. Try 30 seconds of running, 2 minutes of walking. Repeat for 15 minutes. Then build from there: 35 running, 115 walking... and so forth.

Back