Help answer a few questions about body fat % and a six pack! Thank you!

First I'm a 16yr old male, Have a 28in waist circumference, 5'6 and weigh 110Ibs. I used a calculator online and it said that I have a 12% body fat percentage. I get comments all the time saying that I'm to skinny and underweight. Even my doctor prescribed me protein shakes to drink 3 times a day to gain weight because of my overactive thyroid/metabolism. Anyways, I want to start working out starting today and would like help understanding how to gain muscle mass and maybe a six pack. I do work out in my gym class's training room(mostly bench press and bicep work). My stomach does have some fat on it, but on the side of my chest you can almost see my ribs. I just want to shed fat off my stomach(which I know I can't target directly) and work on my abs, but still want to be on the safe side of weight because I don't want to go full skeleton lol. ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME! Thanks!!

Focus on gaining some strength and size then. Main thing is proper form and building balanced strength. You said you do "mostly bench press and bicep work," which is not optimal tbh. You need to balance out pushing and pulling movements. Learn proper form from a trainer, and don't neglect mobility work either. There are many programs out there, but I would not recommend heavy lifting (eg powerlifting routines) for now, you can do that later on if you wish to though.
Some of the best exercises to use include push-ups, rows, pull-ups, squats, overhead press, deadlifts, face pulls, and farmers' walks. There are also others. Also include core work that focusses on "anti" qualities, basically just search this up and you'll learn more about it. This method is far superior to traditional sit-ups or crunches.
If you want to learn how to structure this into a weekly program, learn from either a trainer (recommended), or online. If you choose online, make sure it is a from a trustworthy source. If you experience pain during training (joint pain, not fatigue), stop immediately and ask somebody to check your form. This is crucial to avoid injury.
Also, look into diet; eat healthy and make sure you drink enough water. You don't necessarily need to count calories but make sure you get enough of everything you need per day, which is more than usual if you are doing exercise.
That's some basic beginner information, should be helpful to you.
Good luck.

Back