Help and guidance to get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones11

Hey all,
This is my first post on a weight loss forum. I am in a bit of a tough situation an am looking for guidance and advice to get back to where I was just several months ago. Here’s my story.

I am 35 years old and 5’10” and have always struggled with my weight and keeping it off. Ever since I can remember I would lose weight and then gain it back. My heaviest was 255 about 9 years ago.

In 2020 I had 2 back surgeries and gained around 25lbs, which at the time put me at 227. Since then I have wanted to lose weight and started losing around May of last year. By June I was down to 219lbs and started a new job. I was more active and was in a generally healthier environment. I drank a lot of water and cut out sugar and ate vegetables every day for about 2-3 months for lunch. I ate a regular dinner which consisted of anything. At my new job I was walking anywhere from 5-8 miles each day. I started noticing a considerable difference in a short period of time. I am now down to 175. In the past month I lost my job and was separated from my wife. I am currently living with my parents to get back on my feet. Since then, I have not been near as active and don’t have the option of walking near as much due to the fact that it takes about 25 minutes to drive somewhere to walk everyday because I live in a rural area. I have started noticing that I’m gaining fat in my lower stomach area and “love handles”. Also noticing my face is looking heavier. I haven’t gained any weight, and actually have lost 2 more pounds since everything has happened in the last month. I also haven’t been focused solely on my clean eating like I was when I lost due to all the stress. Will I lose back the fat I have gained just by eating clean and cutting out sugar? My options are very limited right now due to my situation. Thanks for your time reading my post.

Jason

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum!
Will I lose back the fat I have gained just by eating clean and cutting out sugar?
If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you´ll lose weight regardless of exercise. Of course it would be healthier to exercise as well (and it would mean you could eat a little bit more) but it sounds like you´ve got enough on your plate right now as it is. Take care!

Hi, Jason & welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that things have not worked out well for you recently. Kudos to you for not regaining weight. What you eat is much more important than exercise so eating clean & cutting out sugar should make you look & feel better. Are there any tracks or trails nearby. I live on 50 acres of bush in rural Tasmania & put on my hiking boots & walk around it or along the road as it has been snaky lately. Can you walk on the roads near your parents' house? If you carry a pack as well you would be getting more of a work-out. Walking makes me feel good & I tune out to any problems. Is there someone nearby who could do with your help on their farm until you get a job? Farm work is so physical and I'm sure someone would appreciate having a fit young man to help them out.

Hi Cate,
I may know of a couple of roads nearby after brainstorming a bit that I would be able to go for a walk. I was in town today and went to the mall. I ended up walking 4 miles. What should I be burning calorie wise per day? If I eat fewer calories than I burn to lose it back, then I’m not sure of a decent meal plan or where to start. Honestly I normally just eat dinner in the evenings if I don’t feel like eating breakfast. I may eat breakfast 1-2 times per week.
Thank you!
Jason

If I eat fewer calories than I burn to lose it back, then I’m not sure of a decent meal plan or where to start.
A deficit of 500 kcal/day will let you lose a pound a week. How many calories you specifically need to eat a day is hard to say; there are lots of online calculators that will give you an estimate based on age, gender, height, weight, and activity level but they often disagree quite a bit. 2,000 kcal a day will let most healthy, young, inactive men lose some weight to start with and from there you can try and refine things based on the results on the scale. Loss in the first week after changing your eating habits generally isn't very informative though, as your body is still adjusting and usually dropping water weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back