Help! Advice needed

groovygirlkenma

I had a gastric balloon fitted on the 16th of Feb and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong but the weight is just not coming off! I am very disappointed and need some help?

What are you eating during the day? I keep drinking apple juice but will have to stop that as it has over 100 calories per glass. If you want I can have a look at what you are eating and see if I can spot anything, also you may not be eating enough and you body may have gone into famine mode.

Clare

In order to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. This means that you need to eat less food than you're burning.

How many calories are you eating per day?
What did you eat yesterday?
What is your current weight?
What is your activity level?
Do you exercise?

I dont believe this balloon will create some magical event. You need to eat less than you're burning. That means moving more and eating less.

Sometimes there are medical/hormonal issues involved. But first let us know what you're eating because usually that's the culprit.

have you talked to the doctor or medical facility that inserted the balloon? what were the expectations from it?

I know 2 people who have recently had this done....she has lost a little over 50lbs and hes lost hardly anything.
She has changed her diet.....healthy stuff.....he has not. He is still eating the same ol' crap.
With that balloon, ya really gotta watch your intake....but you can do it!!!!

Yup, I would think any diet aid, whether a diet pill, a balloon, or the more drastic surgery, require less calories eaten or more burned through exercise. They are just AIDS to enable us to actually eat less calories, whether by making us feel full quicker or decreasing our appetite. But how could anyone think they'll lose weight without changing their eating habits, that is just bizarre and sad.

I m getting on track!

I am excercising my butt off, and my body is definately more toned but I can't seem to control my eating, its not really bad stuff just too much of it!
I feel hungry all the time and I am starting to feel thats all I think about. I have lost six pounds and my doctor expected me to lose three stone in six months which is half a stone a month which is more than reasonable, I just can't seem to get into a new eating routine!

I posted in the other thread, but will post again here.

Exercise alone won't help.

I have been put on a low GI diet because I was sick for almost 2 months when I had the balloon inserted. When I started eating normally again, I put on 7kg.

You HAVE to change your eating habits. I'm losing weight really well now, and I have PCOS and insulin resistance which makes it even harder - but it's finally working. The balloon merely fills a gap so you don't feel hungry all the time. It doesn't make the weight fall off. It's all a lot of hard work - there is no easy way out at all.

Good luck to you!

Re. fruit juice etc - eat fruit, don't drink fruit. Fruit juice is wayyyyyyyyy bad because it's so concentrated. :)

I eat:

High fibre cereal for breakfast
Apple for a snack
Lunch: low GI seed bread with chicken or tuna on, and spread thin layer of light mayo because I've totally cut out all margarine and butter; sometimes have a gherkin with that
Dinner: brown rice, veggies and a meat normally

I even stopped smoking and am doing just fine. It's been about 3 months now. I've cut out all coffee, soda, chocolate, crisps etc. No cakes. No junk food whatsoever. If I am hungry I buy some grilled chicken or fish etc. You have to make a lot of changes and compromises. I can't eat half of what my family and friends eat. Going to a restaurant now is very difficult, but go to one that might provide healthier meals. Or when I'm out during the day and have no food with me, I can't stop at McDonalds etc - so I buy a low GI breadroll and some cold meat (but still careful because of the ouhigh salt content) and it works really well!

Keep every meal below 10g of fat per 100g. I now check all food labels. I find this helps a LOT. I couldn't believe that a tomato and mozarella sandwich contained almost 22g of fat, and I ate one a few weeks ago when I stopped being sick. It had basil pesto on too. So anyways I'm just more aware of things when I go shopping. After the balloon I could not even handle going into a shop at all. I freaked out. I looked at what I used to eat, and never thought badly of it... and how the balloon had changed all of that. It was like an old life staring at you, but it's a lot easier now.

Low GI fills you up, and keeps you going. You should look into it. :)

Thanks for that I will look into it, things are getting better I am having:-

porridge with skimmed milk & honey- breakfast

soup with 2 slices of wholemeal bread - lunch

amd then the evening is when it all goes horribly wrong, don't fancy food when I get in so start picking! although less so now. I try to make sure I don't eat after 7pm just to give me a chance because I still am having sulphur smelling burps. I am starting to keep a diary just to keep my eye on what I'm at. I walk every day and go to aquafit once a week. So I'm getting better I just need to crack the evenings.

hi. im getting the balloon done july 3 in tijuana mexico.if anyone can give me some tips .on what to expect,it would really help me out .thank you .i wish each and every one of you the best

I had a gastric balloon fitted on the 16th of Feb and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong but the weight is just not coming off! I am very disappointed and need some help?

hi groovygirlkenma,just wanted to know how you are doing.hope you are filling better.i am also haveing this done july 3rd.and in kind of scrard.wish there was more reall info. out there.. i would love to hear from you

just had a gastric band fitted on 18th september 2009 & 2 days on suffering from really bad chest pains terrible acid & can't keep anything down(only sips of water) is this normal or should i seek medical help? please help.

It's pretty normal, but I would get in touch with your doc anyway to make sure that everything is okay.

after my ballon has been in for 6months i am then getting a SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY/GASTRIC SLEEVE done has anyone got any advice on this that they could pass on please?

Last edited:
This is the first time I have replied to an posting, I had a balloon inserted in June and lost about half a stone, so annoying. I look at my food diary and reckon thats ok, say a typical day is yoghurt, sandwich with low fat mayo and lean ham, then count on us meal from marks and spencers (not really a lot). I work during the day and got a baby son so can't go out for a walk or the likes at night, I actually also work most evening too. So excercise is not huge but I was able to stay slim all through my twenties then in pregnancy it piled on and I have never been able to shift it even with this daft ballon, I am thinking of using reductil as well. So disheartening !! I am trying I used to be a size 10 so I know how little to eat it just does not seem to be happening! I felt rubbish for a day or so after the procedure but after a week my appetite was back. I have never been sick, not once.

Back