Sport Healthy Eating

Sport Fitness
There are so many diet fats - low carb, no carb this etc. It can be a minefield to understand what to eat what not to eat....white bread, no salt, don't eat pasta....

Personally - everything in moderation with a good exercise routine is what I go with. Food is to be enjoyed, not avoided. Of course, too much of certain things like salt, sugar etc has consequences. There is also the quality of food - you get what you pay for. If you have the time after a long day of work - a quick healthy meal may take no longer than 30 mins to prepare - opt for this instead of a ready meal. Lentils, quinoa, kale, beans - there is no end of healthy delicious foods. I am willing to share my evening meal ideas to anyone who asks.

I'm a very keen baker and I love cake - yes oh yes - there's sugar, flour, butter (I use soy pure) ....all the so called 'baddies' of the diet world! But I also love running, cycling and hill walking..... Now would a slice or two of cake per week do me any harm?? - hopefully not with regards to wanting healthy functioning organs.

So to bring my point home - eat well, eat yummy stuff and exercise. Eat and enjoy, savour the taste - Don't get tied up with guilt after eating a chocolate bar!

I use the simple system of part time fitness fanatic, full time eating machine. I need a lot of fuel and have often stated that I have one meal a day with breaks for training and sleep. My numerous requests for tips on eating in my sleep have gone unanswered, which has been disappointing if I am honest.
I do find the low carb diets strange and no carb version are literally dangerous, in some cases they have been deadly. Some people are less tolerant to a lot of carb rich foods and that is fair enough but avoiding all of them is lunacy.

Everyone is different but there are a few fundamental clues as to what the body needs in our basic anatomy, something ignored by just about every dietician I have encountered.
The mouth. We have small canines, relatively weak bite force, medium sized molars and incisors with very amylase rich saliva. This means we are designed for a diet with some meat, proportionately little, high quality vegetation that requires little chewing and grinding. The amylase level is a sign that we are ready for a diet high in complex carbs, and the key word there is complex, amylase breaks starch down into glucose, the end result for every energy food we burn, it doesn't act on sugars so if we were supposed to eat a lot of this we wouldn't produce as much.
Digestive system. Small stomach, long small intestine and efficient large intestine. The stomach is more for killing any potential infections etc. than digesting food, this doesn't mean it isn't aiding digestion but animals eating high quality vegetation general end up eating some pests too, so yes we are designed to be able to kill food based parasites by nature, cleansing or food has reduced this ability. Long small intestine makes us remarkably good at absorbing the nutrients from our food, one of the best complex organisms for doing so in fact. Very little of a good diet will pass through, in fact our waste is mostly cellulose and dead cells from our gut lining, the amount of undigested food is minimal. Calorie wise there is far more from the dead cells than food in our waste, something unusual in the animal kingdom.
Storage, the omnivores defence. We are great at converting excess food to fat and storing it, meaning we survive in uncertain times. Proteins get converted to lipoproteins, carbs to fat and fat has a head start. Without this ability we wouldn't be here, so much as a bit of unsightly fat is frowned upon when we want to be wearing string bikinis (maybe that's just me) etc. it is there for our survival. There are good reasons for the minimum ideal percentage body fat levels, take note of them and unless you are genetically very slim stay above them.

Agricultural changes. We have been eating food that we have cultivated for a few million years. Jeny is dairy intolerant, something that would have been fatal at one point in history and was a form of artificial selection when humans started keeping cattle. Milk is something adult mammals cannot digest with almost no exceptions, the digestive system changes after weaning to make it more efficient at dealing with food at the expense of no longer being able to process milk. This is a form of efficiency, after all why waste energy maintaining the ability to absorb nutrients you won't get again. Human beings found this was a way of getting through lean times. Cattle could produce milk from grass, we could drink the milk so getting goodness indirectly from grass. When this trend first started it didn't go well, most people were lactose intolerant to the extent they threw up after drinking it. We have forced ourselves to consume something nature never intended, he says enjoying some of the excess milk work has asked us to finish off.

So our systems are a mix of adaptations that have gone on for many millions of years and some that are comparatively recent. The number of people with dietary intolerances to things we cultivate is a sign of how recent this is for us and how long we take to adapt. It is also why we are having such major issues with dietary problems now. We are hard wired to desire things that are hard to find in the wild, rare treats that are sweet, fat rich or salty. The starchy foods we are built for are considered bland because our taste buds largely ignore this knowing it should always be there.
Processed foods aren't new, salt and sugar pillars have been sold for centuries but now they have become a staple for the majority of the population, and that is dangerous.
Food manufacturers aren't stupid they know what we are wired to enjoy, so they can get away with feeding us cheap low grade food as long as they add a bit of appropriate flavouring to conceal it. Take one chicken leg, inject with salted water to bulk it out, this alone will taste dreadful and fool no-one into thinking its worth eating. Now fry the chicken coat it in a spiced mix with a bit of sugar and more salt, suddenly you have something people will not only eat but keep coming back for. The recipe is horrifically simple, take low grade junk, add stuff we desire but should avoid, instant processed food hit.

As Jeny said enjoy food where you can. But keep in mind what it's for, if you really enjoy eating marshmallows and don't want to look and feel like one keep them as an occasional treat.
I work on a simple system, eat what I need, then what I like. So I have a rice steamer beside me with rice, a bit of soy sauce and some eggs whisked up in it. This is far from cordon bleu cuisine, but it is easy to keep shovelling in during the day. In the evening I will have varied meals and at the end of the day I chill out with a small rich treat while I am relaxing and able to fully enjoy it.
Bad food tastes good, that is an inescapable truth. If you try to make your diet totally pure, I will admire the attempt but know how unlikely it is to succeed. Like cake have some, crisps, wine etc. same thing. The key as Jeny says and I have said so often it should be tattooed on my head is balance. Eat 95%+ of good stuff and allow yourself a bit of indulgence, you will enjoy it all the more.

One area I disagree in is cost. You can eat well cheaper than many eat badly. Marks and Spencer will sell you a ready meal costing more by far than you can buy the ingredients to make it better for a small family. Shop around too, I like Costco because the food is good enough for me in volumes I need and prices I like. I have bought stuff there in a 10kg bag, gone to a farm shop with friends a few months later seen one of these bags in their store room and packs of 0.5 kg of the same stuff at a quarter the price. There are instances where the higher price is due to something being processed by hand instead of a machine, this doesn't make the ingredients better.
There are definitely a number of occasions when you have to pay more to get better quality and my wife and I made a promise to ourselves 13 or 14 years ago that unless we were full on broke we would never cheap out on food quality. Something meaning our son looks at a lot of food with embarrassing disgust when we visit people and they serve up kiddie meals, but it has been worth it.

Great post - good points all round!

I think it is the realisation of it all, that folk need to be aware of what goes into their mouth. Think about what you eat, why you eat but most of all make it worth it!

I agree with a lot of the points in this. Eating everything in moderation is more realistic and if you're trying to lose weight you're more likely to be able to maintain it if you're not cutting out everything you enjoy eating

I will keep this short because I don't like reading long posts.

I am almost 40 now and over the years I have become wise to foods that are generally healthy and those that are not.

I will start by saying that the body may evolve over time to effectively use junk food, but it will not likely be in your lifetime. If you find yourself to be ill from the food you eat it's best to fix the diet rather than hope your body is going to evolve overnight or over a lifetime to process junk food. It's more likely that will just get cancer and die early if you continue to eat the junk.

Moving on now. I have done pretty much all of the diets, vegan, low carb, gluten free, Mediterranean, synthetic workout shakes, you name it. It's been about a 20 year process for me and over time I have acquired more health devices like BP, glucose, SpO2, heart monitors etc. I really analyze what's going on lately.

Basically think like a caveman. It's the way the human body has symbiotically evolved in nature eating over time. It's the way I eat and I am in perfect health, blood wise etc. I run and bike 100 miles a week and do resistance training, and this diet stands up well to the intensity.

I eat paleo, with no processed foods, GMOs, processed sugars, gluten, etc. I eat what I think a hunter gatherer would have. Something I think is critical it to be diverse in what I eat. I make sure my body is being flooded with a wide variety of nutrients and minerals. There are certain things like vitamins B, D, calcium and magnesium that can run low in a person's system and reap havoc on the body. I like to make sure those are taken care of by selecting specific whole foods and sunshine and then most everything else falls into place.

I only drink filtered water that has no chlorine or fluoride. I occasionally drink organic green tea. I drink about 3 liters of water per day.

One other mention is the importance of consuming an ancient mountain salt daily. They have most of the minerals that the body needs and can literally feel like a miracle if you're mineral deficient

The older you get the more you will realize what I am saying here and the more you will realize that the laws of physics and the current state of the human body doesn't care who is right or wrong or about ego. You do it right and you will live longer with a higher quality of life. You screw up and you will start going downhill as you age and you will likely die of some cancer or just feel like crap constantly.

Get it right and be consistent and enjoy life or lie to yourself and feel like crap and die early. Collect data and feedback from your diets and training, and if you're not getting results, be honest and move on to something else.

Healthy eating begins with learning how to “eat smart”. -- It's not just what you eat, but how you eat.

Take time to chew your food: Digestion begins in the mouth. Chewing breaks the food into smaller particles and mixes the food with saliva that contains digestive enzymes. Thorough digestion is key to the absorption of nutrients and to good health! Chew your food slowly, savoring every bite. We tend to rush though our meals, forgetting to actually taste the flavors and feel the textures of what is in our mouths. Reconnect with the joy of eating.
Avoid stress while eating. When we are stressed, our digestion can be compromised. Avoid eating while working, driving, or watching TV (especially disturbing programs or the news). Also avoid confrontations, serious discussions or worry during meals. If you feel stressed or upset, stop eating and relax before continuing with your meal. Try taking some deep breaths prior to beginning your meal, or light candles and play soothing music to create a relaxing atmosphere.
Listen to your body: Stop eating when you feel full. It actually takes a few minutes for your brain to tell your body that it has had enough food, so eating slowly can help you get a more accurate read on this, as well. Eating just enough to satisfy your hunger will help you remain alert, relaxed and feeling your best, rather than stuffing yourself into a “food coma”!
Eat early, eat often: Remember this old saying: breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper. Starting your day with a healthy breakfast can jumpstart your metabolism, and eating the majority of your daily caloric allotment early in the day gives your body time to work those calories off. Also, eating six small, healthy meals throughout the day, rather than the standard three large meals, can help keep your metabolism going and ward off snack attacks.
Healthy Eating Tips: The Basics
You don’t need a degree in nutrition to ensure that you get a well-balanced diet that provides the daily nutrients you need – simply focus on six basic food groups:

Whole Grains: Whole grains include whole wheat, brown rice, oatmeal, whole grain barley and millet. Avoid food with refined grains including many breads, pastas, and breakfast cereals.
Vegetables: Go for the brights: the deeper the color, the greater the concentration of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Dark green and orange vegetables, from broccoli, kale and mustard greens to butternut squash and sweet potatoes, are several excellent choices.
Fruits: Enjoy fruits in a number of ways: fresh, canned, frozen, dried, whole, cut-up, or pureed. Fruit juices can contain up to 10 teaspoons of sugar per cup; avoid or dilute with water
Milk and other dairy: Choose low-fat dairy products. It is important to choose dairy products that DO NOT contain rBST (bovine growth hormone). Organic dairy is best. If you're lactose-intolerant, choose lactose-free and lower-lactose products, such as hard cheeses and yogurt.
Protein: Vary your healthy eating protein choices with a variety of fish, poultry, eggs, beans, peas, nuts and seeds. Minimize red meats containing high levels of saturated fat.
Oils: We’ve been taught to fear fats and oils, but fresh, high quality fats from olive oil, avocado, raw nuts & seeds, coconut and fish actually provide excellent (and necessary) sources of healthy fatty acids in your diet.

There are so many diet fats - low carb, no carb this etc. It can be a minefield to understand what to eat what not to eat....white bread, no salt, don't eat pasta....

Personally - everything in moderation with a good exercise routine is what I go with. Food is to be enjoyed, not avoided. Of course, too much of certain things like salt, sugar etc has consequences. There is also the quality of food - you get what you pay for. If you have the time after a long day of work - a quick healthy meal may take no longer than 30 mins to prepare - opt for this instead of a ready meal. Lentils, quinoa, kale, beans - there is no end of healthy delicious foods. I am willing to share my evening meal ideas to anyone who asks.

I'm a very keen baker and I love cake - yes oh yes - there's sugar, flour, butter (I use soy pure) ....all the so called 'baddies' of the diet world! But I also love running, cycling and hill walking..... Now would a slice or two of cake per week do me any harm?? - hopefully not with regards to wanting healthy functioning organs.

So to bring my point home - eat well, eat yummy stuff and exercise. Eat and enjoy, savour the taste - Don't get tied up with guilt after eating a chocolate bar!

Discipline is the key to fitness. Eat healthy, live healthy :D

I agree with Eat Healthy and Live Healthy
just started with a paleo diet. Avoiding processed food and sugar
I’m more into whole foods, lean meats, vegetables, fruits and healthy fats

That's why I like replacing my fave calorie/carb rich foods with healthy and delicious alternatives :) For instance I tried zucchini spaghetti - it's even better than the real pasta dish, with like 3.5g of carbs per serving!

Back