Good gluten free healthy (low-ish calorie) baking recipes?

amy1985

My family's going on a bit of a gluten free kick and to make it better for them, my mum's making a lot (a lot) of gluten free cakes and stuff. I'd sort of like to slow this down a bit for self-interested reasons (I really shouldn't be eating cake- but I don't feel able to say no lest I upset my mother!) and so am looking for comfort/ "yummy"/ treat food that my mother can make to at least ease off on the cakes and things a little. Does anyone have any gluten free baking recipes that are more diet friendly than, say, flourless chocolate cake or cake made with almond meal?

Unless someone's allergic, is there any real reason to have a gluten free diet?
As far as know, regular wheat (not processed white bread wheat) is as healthy as any other grain.
Pardon my ignorance, but is wheat the only grain that has gluten?

My sister just told me that her friend lost 140 lbs going gluten free. She has more energy, and she's off depression meds. My sister also said something about gluten basically being glue.
I have done no research, so....this is all by word of mouth. I'm also not pro nor am I anti gluten. I know that since I've started exercising and eating better, I have had more energy and been taken off of my depression meds....all with gluten in my diet. So...who knows?

"Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est."

My sister just told me that her friend lost 140 lbs going gluten free. She has more energy, and she's off depression meds. My sister also said something about gluten basically being glue.
I have done no research, so....this is all by word of mouth. I'm also not pro nor am I anti gluten. I know that since I've started exercising and eating better, I have had more energy and been taken off of my depression meds....all with gluten in my diet. So...who knows?
Here's what I'm thinking.... that when someone goes gluten free, they are actually changing their whole diet. If you cut out all processed white bread, processed white flour, and excess carbs, you'd probably get the same results.
It's just these vegetarians telling us that vegetarianism is better. It's not. What they're not telling you is that they're eating healthier overall.
I could be wrong.
I'm not doubting you, but I think DOING something, but CALLING it something else is fairly common.

As for the pros and cons of a gluten free diet... no freaking idea. My family have some strange ideas about health sometimes and I learned years ago it's not worth questioning them (and to roll my eyes in private), just getting by as I see fit. Fortunately I don't have to go gluten free (there are still regular things in the house as some of my family members are refusing to participate, and I go back to the UK in a bit over a month), but my mum's making more cakes and such than she normally does to "make up" for having to go gluten free, which is a little frustrating. (And as I said in my diary, she really wants to feed me everything) My approach with all such health things is to bite my tongue when they suggest it for themselves, tactfully avoid quackery myself (which is easy at the moment as I don't have health insurance in Australia), investigate what they're doing a little, try to take the softly-softly critical approach to anything that I see them doing which is useless and has a reasonable risk of being harmful.

With regards to recipes and such, I want to avoid offending my mother by participating in food stuff, and lessen the damage of the cakes she's making almost every day.

Here's what I'm thinking.... that when someone goes gluten free, they are actually changing their whole diet. If you cut out all processed white bread, processed white flour, and excess carbs, you'd probably get the same results.
It's just these vegetarians telling us that vegetarianism is better. It's not. What they're not telling you is that they're eating healthier overall.
I could be wrong.
I'm not doubting you, but I think DOING something, but CALLING it something else is fairly common.

No, no....we're basically saying the same thing. I am having the same results on a low calorie diet as she is on a gluten free diet. I think that when you cut out all of the crap and eat healthy, no matter what your style is, you're going to lose weight.
Everyone is going to say that their method is better. Everyone SHOULD know, though, that my way is better. Always. And forever. Because it's mine.
:sifone:

And I'm sorry, Amy. I know you wanted recipes. I have a friend who made the tastiest gluten free brownies. I can get the recipe, if you'd like!

Unless someone's allergic, is there any real reason to have a gluten free diet?
As far as know, regular wheat (not processed white bread wheat) is as healthy as any other grain.
Pardon my ignorance, but is wheat the only grain that has gluten?

It really depends on how you approach it.... If you cut out the breads, pastas, cookies, crackers, etc. and use good alternatives such as long grain rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, corn, etc. as your starches, then you're probably going to see some weight loss results. The problem arises when you simply replace your breads, pastas, etc. with the gluten free breads, pastas, etc. This is NOT going to give you any health or weight loss benefit unless you are actually gluten intolerant. In fact, you would be likely eating the opposite of what you should be eating when it comes to whole grains. You are much better off to eat whole grain products of any kind than to eat the over-processed gluten free rice or corn bread. It would be basically like reverting back to eating only regular white bread. There are actually good nutrients contained in whole grains that have gluten, so celiacs have to ensure that they get those nutrients elsewhere in their diet... it can also be a challenge to get enough fiber when you don't have whole grains to depend on.

So, yes, there are good reasons for a non-celiac to follow a gluten-reduced diet... but it basically comes down to cutting out the processed foods. :)

Back