Gonna get this party started!!!!!

jennifer3

Ok ladies I am not exactly a new mom but I think it is an awesome addition to the site. I have three kids, 10, 5 and 2 and well lets just say pregnancy was not kind to the body (especially my first pregnancy). I did much better with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy. I found weight came off pretty good after the pregnancies and got back to my pre-pregnancy weight within five months (but I was overweight to begin with). My hyperthyroidism corrected itself briefly after my last two pregnancies which really helped me out ..until ...it returned to hyperthyroid. Also I found with the change of lifestyle with a new babe I began to put on weight and that was actually harder to take off (I still have some) than the pregnancy weight. Also my thyroid for both of the last two pregnancies jumped all over the place for about 2 years. Finally it is levelling out.
So what are other moms finding as challenges, and wish they had some support in?

Hi Jennifer. I have 2 girls, one 6 yrs old and one just turned 1!! My biggest challenge is time! I really keep hopping just cleaning the house, laundry, feeding everyone, homework, baths, ect. How do I fit in excersize?? Also, with time being a consern, fast food is a convient answere. Another challenge is my husband, lol. He's a big boy that likes to eat. ITs hard to "diet" when hes eating cakes and pop. I really want to start loosing weight!! When I was in high school (i got pregnant right out of school) I weighted 120, and wore a 10...now i'm 210 and a tight 20!! It makes me sick, but like I said Time is a big problem.

I hear you on the time factor,..and I found myself being so consumed with being a mommy, a wifey and self employed,...that personal time for me slowly dwindled down to where I kinda lost touch with myself. It happens slowly and before you know it, you look in the mirror and think "who is that woman staring at me,..Oh my goodness, it me!".
However, if we do take that time, we benefit and in turn our family benefits because they get a happier, healthier you. Its like filling up your cup so you have more to give back, and we really really deserve this time to ourself.
I went to my husband I told him, I need time to go work out, and I thought he was going to to come up with road blocks,..but he said "whatever you need honey". I remembering thinking "that was too easy"...and asking him "you'll actually get the kids to bed..ON TIME". He has done pretty good,..a couple of times I have come home and the two youngest are alseep in our bed...but hey, they were asleep!
Sometimes we have to just let some things go,...so the laundry stays folded in the basket for a day before it gets put away,....or the kitchen floor didnt get swept for the third time today, and its ok if daddy puts the kids to bed in the wrong PJ's........ life goes on and nobody will self conbust if we say "gone for an hour, love ya see ya later".
Talk to your husband, tell him what you need, and how he can help and encourage you. Having his support will go a long way. He loves you and wants the best for you. Maybe he will even join you. I wish you all the best, ITS GONNA HAPPEN!!!!

Thank you jennifer, your words are very inspiring. (i think i spelled that wrong). I do need to make time for myself. Saying something and doing it is different, but I'm going to work at it more!!

Jennifer,

Thanks for the inspiration. That is awesome that you are finding time and your husband is right there supporting you. I have a terrific husband who got me to work out more because he already worked out before we got married. I mean we met and got to know each through running but he is the one that got me to work out harder and regularly. I was running before I met him but only here and there. Ever since then we both work out all the time. As far as trying to loose that weight, I hate it from having kids. I wish you could get pregnant and your body automatically goe back to your prepregrancy weight without any effort. We can all wish. At least this is the last time I have to loose this weight.

Last edited:
Well, i'm not a new mom either, but I am open to any questions! I had 3 kids too, 6/4/2!
My problems started with breastfeeding or better when I finished. That's when I put on weight again:( I usually lost during the pregnancies, got thinner in my face and thighs, etc, but of course gained weight and tummy.
Time really is a big one, especially with a baby in the house... I was lucky having a supporting husband too! (all though he is out with glandular fever since some month now:( )

lol im not new mom either, but let me tell ya..when i was a new mom weight loss was the furthest thing from my mind. well i did think about it but was too busy to do much about it. i have a son who is 4 and a set of boy/girl twins who are 3. so with 2 back to back pregnancies it was pretty hard to lose any weight. have only begun to seriously lose weight this past year (2004) and am still need to lose about 25 more pounds :eek:

1998: 120
1999: 135 lbs (prepreg, got married!)
2000: 210 (1st delivery)
2000: 165 (post preg)
2001: 210 (2nd delivery)
2001-apr 2004: stayed at 175-185
apr 2004-nov 2004: down to 145
dec 2004: sick, gained 5 back
jan 2005: 150 lbs

Last edited:
you truly are wonderwoman....I love that user id name!!!!!
way to go on taking off that weight....I have heard subsequent pregnancies you put on more weight,,..but most ladies I know found that their first preganancy was the killer. Perhaps because we are so excited about being a mommy for the first time...we totally get into that eating for two thing...and give ourself every lil goodie. Second, third time around we say "been there done that,..lets not try to do it again". Lol....I think if you have kids under 5 you are a fairly new mom...and for most the weight does not come off without a challenge...and it takes time, up and down.

You have done wonderfully!!!!!!!!

Hi ladies. I have also found that time is a huge issue. I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old. You would think that all the work that is done around the house would make you a toothpick. Well, I can only hope I guess. I stay home with my children and find thats all I do all day everyday. My problem is eating. When I take a break or get bored I will start eating and it's not like a snack but plates of food. I am 160 right now and I would love to get back to my pre-prego weight of 120 as well. I am also trying to find other woman that are going through the same things, that helped the first time to get the weight off.

I agree Jenn...With my first baby, I put on 40 pds!! My second, I was much more conservative and only put on ....I"m not kidding....10pds..and that was before the baby was actually born. THen I put on another 6 after she was born.

I worked with my first two kids and then took a buy out and became a stay at home mom with home based business with the third,..she will be three in May. I have to say that I did put on weight this past two years (10 lbs a year) ,..comfort of being home, not the hectic crazy schedule, have more time to bake and do those "june cleaver, carol brady " mom things,...and when I had a nanny I could go to the gym, now I have to wait till hubby gets home and well lets face it after a day with the gang,..packing up for the gym at 8:30 is not quite what I had in mind. Doing all that houseowk, running after the kids,...following five year old on thie bikes etc somehow just isnt enough. SOOOOOOO I feel ya,....I just feel if you make the sacrifice somewhere there is always a pay off. Meaning it hard to take inventory and really paying attention to what we are eating and why we are eating it, but if it means a slimmer waistline and more energy and a healthier you isnt it worth it. I am a complete advocate for moms getting down time....time spent without their kids, doing what they like to do, delevoping hobbies outside their children (ie grocery shopping does not count). Take a yoga class, get your nails done, go window shopping, bowling with girlfriends, wine tasting, a community college course, something where you take off your jeans and tshirt , spruce yourself up a lil and feel pretty. The reason why, it keeps you in touch with who YOU are , which in turn makes you happier, relieves stress and thus less need to comfort with other things ...if you know what I mean.

what i dont get is if Dr. Phil says being a stay at home mom is equivalent to two full time jobs, how come so many of us are still overweight? seems like we should have withered down to nothing by now LOL!

Back