Getting your butt in shape

I'm new to this forum and I've already posted some questions/comments in other parts of the forum. I'm not really a body builder, but I ventured into this part of the forum because I figured that someone here will be able to give some additional advice. I'm almost 48 and I ran for about 20 years. In spite of that, I have a weird body in that my upper body is really cut (from a lot of swimming that I did in college) but my thighs are not -and you'd think they'd be from all those years of running. Instead, I've battled with fat in my upper thighs and butt. I actually have had some cellulite and my rear end is not "tight". However, in the past 8 months, I've changed my diet and cut out practically all sugar ( I was a sugaraholic for years) and I also started to INCREASE my intake of olive oil and other fats as opposed to having been on a low fat diet for many years, trying to avoid high fat food. I'm focusing on whole milk, eggs, cheeses, and olive oil as the sources of my fat. I continue to eat a lot of carbs and I am not a real big meat eater. I've combined that with some free weight training on my legs - lunges mainly. I also use a machine to do leg curls for the backs of my thighs. I do not use a squat bar because I have issues with my neck and whenever I use it, I get terrible headaches from the weight of the bar resting on my neck. I combine my weight training with the use of a stair stepper for cardio workouts on my legs. So, my current issue is that my butt cheeks are kind of saggy and I'm really having a hard time getting them cut. Are there more free weight exercises that I might be able to do to get my rear end more firm?

Squating has made wonders for me..

You need to ease off the cardio firstly. secondly - track your diet, download MyFitnessPal and count calories. Count your macros and have a proper meal plan. Cutting out sugar will be the best decision ever! Make sure you drink loads of water as it's important, at least 3 litres a day. NOW! Squats are not necessarily done with a bar AT THE BACK. Squats have loads of different alternatives and can be done in many, many ways. Remember, there is gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus. All you need is to find different exercises to target all 3 areas of the glutes (your bum) and do them consistently. I would recommend training to gain at the beginning - more sets, less reps, if possible heavy. Specifically the squats can be done in either Front squat position - with the bar at the front of the neck, or holding a weight. Sumo squats with holding a weight, pistol squats (my personal favourite) and so many other ways. Think about lateral lunges, glute bridges, hip thrusts, donkey kicks and all the different ways to work the glutes and legs. Good luck x

Back