Getting started in Fitness

Hi all! I have always liked exercising, but I am also a food-lover, so I have always had weight problems. Now I am 34yrs-old and think I have to do somethingh about my weight now or never. I would like to get started in Fitness, altho I am not intending to become a bodybuilder or gain lots of mass...I just want to burn all the excess fat (I'm over a 30%) and get as trim and toned as possible. I would like to know what should I do to get started. I am sure that there's someone out there willing to help newbies :D BTW, I am already subscribed to a gym and I enfasize in aerobic training. Tx in advance!

Aerobic Training

Congratulations on making this healthful commitment to yourself!

Getting 60 minutes of aerobic training 3 to 5 times per week should help. The more hours you put in each week, the faster you'll lose weight. Depending on your current fitness level, you may want to start with brisk walking and/or try some of the classes at your gym.

I am a big fan of cross-training, so I highly recommend varying your workouts between a variety of activities (e.g., walking, biking, aerobics, kick-boxing, etc.).

After about 12 weeks, look to add in some weight training. Talk to a trainer at your gym and ask them to set up a circuit training routine for you.

Karen
Healthy Travel Network
We keep business travelers fit.

Thanks!

Hi Karen! Just wanted to thank you for your concern and your wise advise! I will make sure I follow it and I will keep you updated! :)

Best regards,

canela

just a reminder to the women....women lack enough natural testosterone to get 'big and muscled'. the heavyweight, non-feminine female body builders you've seen photos of....they shoot steroids and testosterone to achieve those bodies.

you can further limit large muscle growth by aiming for lots of reps and using less weight. you still make yourself stronger, but you're weight training in a more 'aerobic' way (like circuit training)...which really helps melt the fat.

learn the basics. the basics kick butt and always will kick butt.

learn the basics of nutrition: calories, protein, carbs, fats, fiber, water, vitamins and minerals. details arent that important but a good understanding is necessary. questions to learn and answer:

how do i eat, when do i eat, what do i eat, how much do i eat, etc

learn the basics of training. what muscles are where. no need for every single one but when someone says quads or triceps, you should know where they are and what exercises work them. questions to learn and answer:

what are sets, what are reps, how should i perform a rep, how many sets, how many reps, how often do i workout, etc

sounds like alot? it might to a newbie. but anyone here can rattle off this stuff just like they do their SSN or their phone number or home address.

but learn it and you'll move from newbie to intermediate. when you're an intermediate, the hours are more but the pay is better. and when you become advanced, the rewards are even greater.

welcome to the club!! :)

Back