Gentle Exercises for Osteoporosis

D

Dami

Hi!

I'm a 60 year-old female with a 40+ year history of Crohn's Disease and a 20+ year history of Osteoporosis with vertebral fractures of T8 through L5 (inclusive) resulting in a lot of pain. I'm under a doctor's care for both problems, but I'm wanting some assistance with some gentle exercises to strengthen my back. Any insights are most appreciated.

Thanks.
Dami

For osteoporosis, pretty much anything that's weight-bearing on your joints will drastically improve your condition by increasing bone growth in response to the demand. Light weights will help a lot for your back, even if it's simply doing exercises such as bicep curls while seated upright in a chair. Stair climbing as exercises, even if assisted is good for the lower body. Weight machines, despite being intimidating for some people, are also awesome, as they only allow you to push the weights into specific, safe ranges. For cardio, light walking or water aerobics would work really well.

As for your back health overall, you want to strengthen your core a lot. No sit-ups, as those are bad for your back in the first place and will put undue stress on your vertebrae. Things like planks and side-planks (up on an incline or wall if the floor is too hard), dead bugs (Youtube!), and bird-dogs (Youtube again!)

Thank you so much for the tips. Will look up dead bugs and bird-dogs. Again, thanks!!

Back