gastric ballooners - how much have you lost

slctoronto

hi everyone

I find the other threads difficult to follow so I thought I would start one just for the people who have a balloon already to discuss their weight loss.

I am having my balloon removed on friday and in 6 months I lost 20 pounds. I just want to compare that to others.

I think it makes a big difference how much weight you had to loose before surgery so please give your stats as well, heres mine:

Before surgery: 195 pounds
Height is 5'10 so my BMI was 28 so in the mid overweight category
I am now 174, BMI is 25 so in the normal

anyone else who was just in the overweight category? I hear that the weight drops off much easier on people who have more to loose.

Im happy with my 20 pounds as Ive never been able to loose anything in 6 or more years! I found the past 3 months I felt no restriction at all, but the first 3 months was great and I lost all the weight then.

hi everyone

I find the other threads difficult to follow so I thought I would start one just for the people who have a balloon already to discuss their weight loss.

I am having my balloon removed on friday and in 6 months I lost 20 pounds. I just want to compare that to others.

I think it makes a big difference how much weight you had to loose before surgery so please give your stats as well, heres mine:

Before surgery: 195 pounds
Height is 5'10 so my BMI was 28 so in the mid overweight category
I am now 174, BMI is 25 so in the normal

anyone else who was just in the overweight category? I hear that the weight drops off much easier on people who have more to loose.

Im happy with my 20 pounds as Ive never been able to loose anything in 6 or more years! I found the past 3 months I felt no restriction at all, but the first 3 months was great and I lost all the weight then.

Hi I have my balloon 16 weeks so far have felt virtually no different to normal except for the horrible uncomfortable full feeling if i over eat-still tho the main positive is that i eat nowhere near what i used to I feel like i changed some really bad habits and i am positive when my balloon comes out in 8 weeks that i will continue to lose if i follow the steps i have these last few months.

Here are my stats

Starting weight: 204lbs
current weight: 183lbs
Loss to date: 21lbs
Starting BMI: 34
CURRENT bmi: 32
Height: 5ft 3

I'm 9 weeks in and have lost a total of 18 pounds. Some weeks have been better than others. Actually the big issue is I have been out of town quite a bit (a total of almost 4 weeks during this time, although not all at once), so weight loss during those times has been slow. I should be jazzed about it however, as normally I gain weight when I go out of town, so to even see a small loss is amazing.

Here are my stats - yikes:
starting weight 231 pounds
current weight 213 pounds
pounds lost 18
starting BMI 33.1
current BMI 30.6
height 5'10"

I still have a little less than 4 months to go with the balloon so I'm pretty excited. Plus, my husband told me a look thinner the other day! :cheers2: I have no travel planned for the next month so things should be a bit easier as far as regular exercise and eating properly.

Further to ishmbishm - I too have felt pretty normal through this whole thing, other than the first few days. If I drink fizzy drinks like pop, or really overeat, then I can feel the balloon, but otherwise it doesn't bother me. I even went for an xray to make sure it was still there!

I've also really changed my relationship with food and that will continue even after I get the balloon out.

Hey SCLToronto..I too am in to mid- overweight range which is so much more difficult to shift those pounds. I was very heavy some 20 years ago 5'5' and 220lbs and found it not easy but I didn't have to resort to surgery or the balloon for help. Anyway...here we are on this journey...I have had my balloon now for approximately 3 weeks starting weight 172lbs - todays weight, 160lbs. (total loss todate 12lbs).

Feeling pretty sickly though. Feeling the balloon early morning, throughouth the night, while sleeping. Anyone else experiencing this. At the moment her the temperatures are 37 degrees are was wondering if I was a little dehydrated? I have been drinking flavoured carbonated water.

Ideas please?

weight loss

Hi Lost over 3 stone in 5 months. Was very near goal ( had it out a little early as i had to go hol then the surgeon was,nt available when i got back and N.O.C was adamant i could not have it in over 6mths) found the service very good,they still are.

At one stage food was seemilgly getting stuck in my gut hence the smelly burps so had some special suppostries to move the food faster through my digestive system for about a wk then i had no futher problems.

Felt really quiet ill at times at the start took a good while to start to get energy back up.

Could not eat any greasy/oily foods ie fish,meat and had smelly burps till i drank pepsi max or similarand the suppostries
Did not really throw up apart from first day and another day when i ate lentil dal .too much of it.

The portions that filled me were tiny.
Continued to go on to lose another 8 1bs
only small in height bmi now 24 ..

Knew i needed a really good tool to help me,lose it as i dont intend to over eat iwas overweigh but it had stablised for years couldnt cut back suffiecntly for long enough .

Best investment ever. Gloria:seeya:

Would i go through it again .
Hope i never have to but yes yes yes

Hey SCLToronto..I too am in to mid- overweight range which is so much more difficult to shift those pounds. I was very heavy some 20 years ago 5'5' and 220lbs and found it not easy but I didn't have to resort to surgery or the balloon for help. Anyway...here we are on this journey...I have had my balloon now for approximately 3 weeks starting weight 172lbs - todays weight, 160lbs. (total loss todate 12lbs).

Feeling pretty sickly though. Feeling the balloon early morning, throughouth the night, while sleeping. Anyone else experiencing this. At the moment her the temperatures are 37 degrees are was wondering if I was a little dehydrated? I have been drinking flavoured carbonated water.

Ideas please?

Hi Lardarse - I've noticed you're in Vancouver, as am I. Did you get your balloon from Dr. Woodhead in Delta?

I feel the balloon when I'm lying on my left side, usually that's pretty uncomfortable for me these days. You've also mentioned you've been drinking carbonated water, that could account for some of the sickly feelings as I was told to avoid fizzy drinks as they'll give me gas and generally won't feel good with the balloon. When I'm really hungry I have a bit of diet coke and I feel full right away.

Dear SLCtoronto

I'm very interested to try the bib programme but i heard that it won't work well with asian. I've been having weight problems for the past 4 years. there's no way i can shed off the extra 12 kgs i had, :( . I missed my S/M size dresses....

I read from the internet that chances of side effects are high, eg, nausea/etc and possibility of early removal as early as 2 weeks after procedure is done. There are also cases that some people do not lose weight at all after goign through the procedure.

Is it true?

Back