Gastric Ballon - No lossing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

amvd14

Hi, I'm new in this forum - I'm looking for help. I have the ballon since February and I have lost only 18 pounds. I feel ok, I don't feel overeating but last month I gained some weight. I feel alone in this journey. I don't have dietitian support so I'm doing my best with the diet but I'm guessing I'm doing it wrong because I'm loosing hair and gaining weight. Please help.

amvd14

Recomended Diet after Gastric Balloon

Within the first week after the gastric balloon surgery is done, a patient shall be on a liquid diet. A physician normally recommends an increased water intake for the patient. A dietitian should have an approved meal program so solids can be eaten a week after the procedure. The diet program shall have some calorie restrictions so that the patient can get started with the weight loss plan. In the next six months, the balloon will stay inside the patient’s stomach, and a diet program designed for the patient’s specific condition needs to be followed.

0 to 3 days: Pure fluids

After surgery, you will be advised to start taking multivitamins and mineral supplements. Centrum Chewable and Calcichew are two recommended brands. You want to adopt this habit for the next six months that you have the balloon in your stomach. During the first three days following surgery, you are to take only liquids. Go for at least eight cups of fluids a day. You want to sip slowly to give your body time to grow accustomed to the balloon.

Suggested drinks:

* Semi-skimmed milk – one pint daily
* Reduced-sugar or low-calorie squash
* Herbal teas
* Diluted fruit juice – one part juice to one part water
* Coffee

3 to 10 days

At this point, you can reintroduce soft food or well-blended food in your diet. Regular meals are in small portions. You want to use a tea plate in lieu of your dinner plate to control the amount. It’s also important that you start enforcing the healthy diet advice that the dietitian or nutritionist assigned to you.

You want to eat four to five small meals throughout the day and avoid hard fruits and vegetables for the moment. It’s also a good idea to stay away from heavily seasoned food and continue drinking semi-skimmed milk. At least half a pint of milk will do.

Suggested meals:

* Everything in 1 to 2 tbsp portions unless otherwise specified
* Breakfast: 3 tbsp porridge and 150 ml semi-skimmed milk
* Lunch and dinner: lean meat, blended egg with gravy, mashed potato, and blended vegetables
* In between meals: blended fruit or low-fat yoghurt
* Before bedtime: blended fruit
* In between meals, you can drink tea, diluted fruit juice, or coffee

After 10 days

You can now start going back to a normal diet but you’ll have to avoid pasta as it tends to "stick" to the balloon. It’s also advisable that you drink water right after meals so as to rinse the gastric balloon. Your dietitian will also advice you to continue your intake of multivitamins and mineral supplements.

Avoid lying down right after eating, and in case you vomit right after taking your meal, you want to go back to a soft diet for at least three meals.

Suggested meals:

* Breakfast: ¼ pint of fruit juice (unsweetened), whole wheat cereal, a slice of toast and low-fat spread, or 3 tbsp porridge in ¼ pint semi-skimmed milk
* Lunch and dinner:
o 60 g lean meat, baked beans, a slice of bread
o 1 to 2 tbsp pasta or cooked rice
o 1 to 2 tbsp mashed potato
o 2 boiled eggs the size of a potato and without fat
o A serving of low-fat yoghurt or fruit

AHi lm on my 14th day of Gastric Ballon insertion.Really got through the first few days ok just very tried with no energy,but after getting some sports drink into me felt so much better..Started eating solid on the forth day but small bites and amounts.Just a little confused on cramps have l eaten to much or no enough as l seem to cramps even if l haven't eaten.Somedays l have lots of energy others l cannot go pass a Nanna nap in afternoon.Total weight loss so far is 4 kilos,no more buffet tables for me lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back