Gastric Ballon info??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweets1

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I have been reading and hoping to find more information about gastric balloon on the nhs in the UK? From what I have seen so far NICE does not have any regulations set for gastric balloon insertion . . . I may be wrong please correct me if I am. I know my trust doesnt offer it anyway.
I am trying to find out what the minimum weight / BMI is for the Gastric Balloon. Most of the websites i have found say BMI of 25, some 27 , others 28, some 30, some 35 . . .
The information I have found from NICE says for bariatric surgery a BMI of 35 - 40 with other health problems or a BMI > 40. This is the same info I have found from the Harley st website . . .
But then they go on to say something about a BMI of 27 - 30.
I am confused because I thought Gastric balloons are classed as non surgical procedure.

I guess I'm just scared. I saw something on the BBC website about people going overseas for this then failing to have the aftercare as well as doctors accepting patients with a low BMI etc. I have a BMI of 29. And if this is too low for UK regulations then I wouldn't want to even consider doing it in any other country.

Can I have the opinions of those who have had this done if anyone, with a BMI less than 30. Is it even legal because so many UK clinics have this on their website.Is it safe?

I would also like to know how much people pay within the UK because at least I would have peace of mind knowing I can always see the doctor any time, no language barrier etc. However it is quite expensive in London what about in other cities? Where did others go and what was the aftercare like?

Thanks in advance

A lot of people wanting to lose weight are considering gastric band or even the gastric balloon. I came across this article you may be interested in......
<a href="http://weight-loss.fitness.com/surgical-weight-loss/37840-gastric-balloon.html">gastric balloon</a><p>I had the gastric balloon fitted 11th december 2009,I thought the sickness would have stopped by now,I eat small meals but some I can't keep down.The plus sign is I have lost 13 pounds but I did not realise how hard this would be with ...</p>

If you want additional information, you can find it LINK REMOVED

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello livelovelaugh,
I read your post. How r u doing? I am having my balloon inserted tomorrow and starting to feel a little nervous.
How did you feel after? How much did you lose? What can you share with me? Was it worth it?

Hope to hear from you,
Cute

Hope it goes well!! You will get through it, promise.

OzCatMum

tomorrow is the day

Well tomorrow is the big day and I am booked in for 11.30am at Maroubra Day hospital. I am crapping myself LOL all week all I have been doing is working long hours & cleaning the house to keep my mind off it. I decided to go on the liquid diet 4 days ago , so my stomach is totally empty. I dont want to throw up too much. I am living on diet Jelly & diet cordial today and will start fasting from tonight. I am so tired & lack energy already , due to the lack of food this week. I am so scared that I will be really sick & that my body will reject it. Part of me feels excited about my new life tomorrow and the other half is scared. My husband is shaking his head wondering why I am doing this to myself, and although he will take me & bring me back, look after me , he does not agree with what I am doing, and has been quite vocal about it. Some people that I have told say " why" why, just eat less & move more they say, um yep tried that , dont work, why would you do that to your body ? why , and I say because I want to , I want to be happy ...... again.
I want to go out and feel attractive again, I cant remember what it is like to be sexy, and feel that way.... I used to be able to turn heads LOL ,. I will keep you all updated with my progress, and how I am feeling, it wont be for 3 - 5 days however I will be too busy throwing up or in bed :cuss:

I love this forum and I am so glad I can read & write on it..... Hi OZCATMUM if you are reading, keep in touch :Angel_anim:

@ feelfat:

@ FEELFAT:

How r u doing now?
Today I am on day 5 and not so well. Lost 3 kilos so far.... I have posted another thread and perhaps you will have a chance to read it. As per today I am not sure if my body may be rejecting the balloon so I am feeling.... not so positive. I do hope is just bad side effects.

I could relate to you and to what you wrote. My partner also does not understand why I am doing this to myself....

Maybe if you use MSN or FB we could exchange experiences and talk a little bit more, I certainly need some support from someone who really knows how I am feeling.

All the best and hope to hear from you.
CuteGirl

Hi Cute Girl,
yeah I am going okay , I am only on the small shakes now and I still have not eaten, from tomorrow it will two weeks since I have eaten a proper meal or food, I have been living on shakes, optifast or cordial. I can honestly say I have not felt sick at all, however I have back pain now, it seems i go from one pain to another ..... the back pain only started two days ago and it is constant pain, we loose all the weight because we are starving to death...... just keep up your meds take as many as you need every time I felt pain , I took a tab and slept. keep me posted on how you are doing

Going Well

Proper exercise & meals can help you live much healthy.
Also do not smoke or drink. This is also important.

old thread. closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back