From Underweight to fit but I've met a wall.

Pimanco

Height: 190cm (6 feet 2.8inches)

First time poster here.

Weight: 70kg (154 lbs)

Goal: Being fit and build muscle.

Diet: LowFODMAP (IBS). Haven't eaten candy or junkfood the past 5+ years and i only drink water and peppermint tea for now.

My only workout experience is Crossfit style workout from my brother 7 years ago which lasted 4 sessions once a week. Super painful but i'll never forget the instant six-pack i got. I know i really want this.

I have recently gained back some weight after being underweight (55kg) and mentally incapable of anything for a few years. My doctor said i should start working on muscle weight because gaining weight trough food isn't an easy option for me. I was happy he said that because i want to get into fitness. However, just a week later i stretched a muscle in my arm doing push-ups and got a local pain gel from my doctor, it works but recovery seems to take some time.

I am also having heel and ankle pain, knee pain from running and back pain from sit-ups. Basically no matter what workout were talking about something is going to hurt.

I've barely scratched the surface but quickly been "unable" to do any workouts since i started a month ago...

It feels like my body is already broken for life from sitting in front of a computer and not working out at all. Am i approaching this the wrong way? I don't think my doctor has too much else to come with but i don't have a lot of money to spend on doctors at this time anyways. I feel so weak and old...

English is not my first language so I'll update the post if needed. :3

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you maybe did "too much, too soon." Which is a common mistake when you have been fit in the past and you know what you were once able to do. I will not try to tell you what your injuries might be, that is not something that should be done online. There are lots of variations of exercises that you can start with and then build up to more difficult exercises gradually. Pushups, sit ups, and running are all pretty demanding on the body, so I would suggest starting out with easier variations of these exercises. But if you are injured, you should be seeking out the advice of a physiotherapist if you can. Do you have more details about what your workouts have been like? Which exercises, reps? How far do you run, etc.?

Do you have more details about what your workouts have been like? Which exercises, reps? How far do you run, etc.?
1 month ish ago i did sit-ups(35), squats(10) and push-ups(15) until the muscles hurt , then did that 2-3 reps.
That's when my lower back hurt so much the next 4-5 days that getting out of bed was a struggle. And during my last pushup my left shoulder completely gave up and i fell. It really hurt and i laid still for a few seconds trying to figure out if i pulled it out of socket or something. In general my left arm is noticeably weaker and smaller than my right.
For jogging, i go into a forest near me and just try to get my heart rate up with brakes for breath and my feet. 20-30 mins total.

Also i do walk 10-15k steps a day on average.
My doctor gave me pain gel for my arm which has helped a lot.

It sounds like you maybe did "too much, too soon."
This is a reasonable assumption, i think I'll also take your advice on seeking a physiotherapist, that way i could get more of a focused expertise on my specific problem, turns out there is one literally over my street.
I read your post this morning and decided to do 10 wall pushups 5 reps today without problems even with my left arm, maybe patience is key?

It does sound like that could have been too much, even if that was easy for you in the past. I'm glad to hear that you are going to seek out the help of a physiotherapist. Even if it's just for peace of mind so that you can get the clearance to go ahead with exercise. When you do start up again, start slow, and have patience, like you said above! Let us know what the physiotherapist says. Hopefully there is nothing serious.

Sorry for the long time waiting. I've now been to a physician and was told that my pain was likely due to my body not being used to the type of movement i'm now doing. I also got a simple workout plan to build up smaller muscles and help correcting posture. I think what i need next, is some nutrition advice which i will try next.

That is good news! How's the workout plan been going for the past few weeks? Did you get any nutrition advice?

Back