Sport Flax Seed

Sport Fitness
I have been reading and talking to individuals about taking Flax Seed. My question is, my dr has me taking a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids (800 to 1200 mg a day). I read that flax seed has similar properties as the fatty acids. I am wondering what this group thinks, should I still take flax seed or no? Am I way off base on my understanding of the flax seed.

So did I ask a totally stupid question? I see this was viewed 165 time without a response. If it was stupid, please tell me. I can handle constructive criticism pretty well :)

i take 2 scoops of fresh ground fals seed per day. Everyday.

it gives my body good fat, and theat allows my body to let the bad fat go.

ALSO- my stool is smooth, consistent

I would not give up my falx seed

FF

Flax doesn't have "similar properties" to Omega-3 fatty acids, it actually contains them. And yes, they're very good for you, eat up.

Flax seed contains large amounts of ALA, an omega-3 fatty acid that is converted in the human body at low rates into DHA and EPA, two omega-3 fatty acids more commonly found in fish.

Flax seed also contains large amounts of phytoestrogens, which are usually associated with soybeans, although the types found in flax seeds and soybeans vary in subtype.

I have been reading and talking to individuals about taking Flax Seed. My question is, my dr has me taking a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids (800 to 1200 mg a day). I read that flax seed has similar properties as the fatty acids. I am wondering what this group thinks, should I still take flax seed or no? Am I way off base on my understanding of the flax seed.

I would say go back to your doc and ask them why you shouldn't take flax seed instead of whatever source of Omega 3 they told you to take (you would just be duplicating). There are a couple of excellent articles written by Dr Berardi and it would do you no harm to look these up, have a look through and see.

i have read many news and articles about flax seed, and it says that taking more of flax seed in your diet you can get a lot of anti oxidant which is good for the hearth and slow your aging process.

I would say go back to your doc and ask them why you shouldn't take flax seed instead of whatever source of Omega 3 they told you to take (you would just be duplicating). There are a couple of excellent articles written by Dr Berardi and it would do you no harm to look these up, have a look through and see.

I have an annual physical coming up and will mention it to him.

He has me taking the fishoil to help lower my triglicerides (sp) because I am not a fan of fish and don't eat it at all. If I ate fish and other foods omega 3 fatty acids, I could probably stop taking it so maybe the flax seed will work.

Are the seeds whole? Your body can't absorb nutrients in seed before they are grinded. However your stomach may benefit from ungrinded seeds as they make you digest the food at a slower rate.

I have been reading and talking to individuals about taking Flax Seed. My question is, my dr has me taking a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids (800 to 1200 mg a day). I read that flaxseed has similar properties as the fatty acids. I am wondering what this group thinks, should I still take flaxseed or no? Am I way off base on my understanding of the flax seed.

Hi, there,

I carefully read your question and after reading all the threads to this question I noticed that you haven't mentioned for which condition you have been taking omega 3 fatty acid. Maybe your doctor concur that omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil is the best course of action for your condition and not the plant-based source which is the flax seed oil. I think you should consult your doctor to know whether flax seed can give you fruitful results.

Right now, flaxseed oil is strongly promoted as an alternative to fish oil. The health benefits of fish oil are believed to derive mainly from two omega-3 fats, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), on the other hand, flaxseed oil contains a third vegetable omega-3 based alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) - a very small percentage of which is converted to EPA and, to a lesser extent, DHA in the body. For this reason, it can be useful as a food supplement for people who do not get enough EPA or DHA from fish / marine oils, however, since such small amounts are converted, it will not provide the clinical benefits shown for EPA and DHA containing oils. Also, neither of them appears to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease or stroke. Be aware that fish oil and flaxseed oil can both have blood thinning effects, which could be increased if you are taking both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back