Flat footed

I have been running for about 8 months now, and for some reason i cant up my miles per outing. My calves are too fatigued after about two miles. My calf muscles have toned up considerabley, and Ive lost about 40 pounds but I cant up the miles. I am trying to lose about 15 more pounds but have stopped loosing weight so I think i need to run more. I should mention Im flat footed, could this be the problem.My breathing is good, and I can run 2 miles faster, just cant run more.

Couple of things, Tony.

The first is: Have you gotten a good pair of running shoes? This made all the difference in the world for me as I tend to pronate a lot when I run and the right shoes helped me out tremendously! Give this a shot - you might need to pay a bit extra a time or two, but it is worth it.

Second: What is your weight workout like? If you don't have one, you should get one. And if your calves are your problem, make sure you do some calf raises as part of your total body workout. This will help with losing fat and weight as well as letting you run further and faster.

Third: What about walking half a mile after you get done with running your 2 miles? Then slowly working up the speed until you are runnign 2.5 miles? Or maybe take a different route than the one you are used to (road running or track running)? It could be (sounds like) a mental thing rather than a physical thing. So take a route that is 3 or 4 miles and that you don't know exactly where 2 miles is... then just run as far as you can and I bet it is further than 2 miles.

I think that you have something with the mental thing. I seems that every time that I am running I dont get really tired until I know that the track is going to end. I run at a park with a walking route that is approx. 2 miles. I think that its my head telling me that its almost over so shut it down. Im going to buy some new shoes and run at another location.

Thanks,
Alex

PS: MY name isnt Tony, I just use that name on all the forums i visit cause my favorite charecter on the simpsons is fat tony. You probably thought I was a guy named tony with a self consiousness about my weight.

Actually, I always call people by their board handle - even if I know them IRL. I have a friend that I have known since elementary school and when we play stuff online I call him by his handle instead of by his name - even when we are on the phone talking. So you are Fat Tony right now as far as I am concerned ;-)

Sounds like it's an excuse to stop running after 2miles. If you've been running consistently for 8 months an extra .5 miles shouldn't be difficult. Next time your running and your calves are hurting, slow down the pace and finish the distance your aiming for. Don't stop. Walk, run, or jog but finish the distance that your aiming for.

Set the goal and finish it.

Back