Fish Oil vs DHA supplement for pregnant woman

I read DHA is a good supplement to take while pregnant but doesnt Fish Oil contain DHA? Is there a reason why people take DHA instead of just regular (high quality) Fish Oil which contains both DHA and EPA, and is much cheaper?
thanks

I wouldn't expect there to be any benefit. If anything, fish oil would be better because it has EPA as well. The only reason why there would be a more expensive DHA-isolated supplement that I can think of is that the supplement companies are just trying to get more of your money.

Fish Oil is recommended but you may need to be careful with where you source it from. Those for pregnancy usually are very pure in terms of contaminants, levels of mercury etc. Pure fish oil is great for pregnant mums.

I think the recommendation is that DHA is ESPECIALLY beneficial for pregnancy, not that you should only take DHA and avoid EPA.

I wasn't sure about the quality of the most recent fish oil supplements that I had bought and have read more than once that pregnant women should be taking a vegetarian-sourced omega 3 supplement (as long as your doc has said that it's OK to do so)... So, I spent way too long in the health food store reading labels yesterday... Thanks to pregnancy brain, I inadvertently came out with a DHA-isolated supplement. So, my plan was to just alternate taking the fish oil supplement and the vegetarian DHA supplement. Hopefully this helps to reduce any toxicity or contamination that one or the other may have (even if just by a small amount) and it should help boost the amount of DHA that I get in a day.

At the store, one of the employees told me about a website that you can go to find information on many different brands of fish oils, which I haven't looked at yet, but here is the site: IFOS Consumer Reports

I'm hoping to get some good info from it!

EPA and DHA are both important! Keep in mind most fish contain almost equall amounts of EPA/DHA. DHA is a major structural component of our cell membranes. EPA is transformed into localized hormones which also have very important functions. If you chose a Salmon Oil supplement make sure it says "Wild" on the front label otherwise it will be farmed! Even Norwegian Salmon Oil is farmed! Most other fish oil supplements are from wild anchovie, sardine and mackeral oil. Peru is the worlds leading producer and exporter of anchovie and sardine oil.
I have audited over a dozen faciltites and would reccomend Natural Factors, Nordic Naturals and Carslon fish oil supplements. For Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil I would reccomend Natural Factors. Great price, much less expensived than New Chapter or other brands. Carlson Norwegian Salmon Oil is farmed, not wild.

Back