Finger exercisng questions.

Hello, I am double jointed and have had tightness in my finger tendons (or one of my hand/ finger muscles) my entire life, particularly between my pinky and ring fingers. For example, if I hold my middle, ring or pinky fingers down, I can't lift any of the others much (my pointer finger feels unaffected). This makes it akward to type with my ring and pinky fingers since I can feel the tightness restrict my movement whenever I want to press a key with them. I would imagine this would end up affecting playing any kind of instrument, or writing as well.

I am also extremely limber everywhere else, as in, I am limberer than most girls (I am male), without stretching at all; so it is pretty strange that my fingers feel so tight and restrictive. I also have fairly large hands (8.5 inches from tip of pinky to thumb while stretching, 7 inches from wrist to pointer finger) if that matters at all.

So I have been thinking about making them looser, but I have no idea where to begin with finger stretches, or exercises. If there are any stretches that would also help crooked fingers that would be amazing, since I bent my fingers in odd ways when I was younger. My finger joints sometimes feel stiff, if I haven't moved them for awhile, and need to be moved to feel better (I get fairly large amounts of calcium from alot of cheese and veggies).

Since I'm on topic, I might as well ask related questions, like: What other (basic) flexibility exercises there are for someone extremely flexible, I don't even stretch that often, but have no problem doing most stretches I know. Does being double jointed affect how I should exercise, or is there anything important I should know about? What is the effect of cracking your fingers, or other joints is?

In case anyone feels like answering some offtopic questions: How does fasting affect your diet/ nutrition? How does sleep deprivation effect diet/ muscles/ nutrition? I'm just curious.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong category, but this seems to fit the topic best. Thank you for your time.

Edit: Just wanted to point out that I am 22, incase it matters.

Incase anyone is interested in stretching their hands, fingers, or wrists; here are some amazing stretching video tutorials that someone pointed me towards.

There are also stretches for your legs, neck, chest and just about anything else I can think of. They are very effective, and my wrists and fingers already feel much better.

I missed this topic earlier, or else I would've answered right away.

It doesn't sound too abnormal that your finger tendons are like that. The tendons to your fingers, excluding the thumb, all come from the same muscle, so it makes sense that holding down one finger makes it harder to lift another. If you do happen to have excessive tightness though, just do forearm extensor stretches. (Straight elbow, bent wrist, curled fingers.)

Place your fingers down on a piano and without moving the others play each finger on a key 4 times , it will help with finger agility. Do this three times a day. Do grip strengthening exercises. Try rolling a coin on your knuckles

I think massage your fingers on low heat oil and continue the oil massage is daily two to three times. Rotate your fingers from different directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back