Felling alone on my path to better health...:(

A

Amie Hazel

I joined this forum as im finding expressing my goals and feelings toward exercise and self improvement annoys my friends. less and less seem to talk to me as i dont drink or party anymore and when i say i feel like going for a run i have no positive comments just people saying 'your not even fat' 'you dont need to exercise'.
This is probably me just venting as i have no where else to turn, my husband is not interested in my talk about fitness and nor are my family or friends. im beginning to think persuing a healthier lifes style and trying to improve myself physically is just not a social thing to do. does anyone else feel like family and friend sometimes shut them out for the same reasons???

Sorry to hear that you do not have support at home for fitness. Fitness is a life goal - not a passing fancy. You might try to encourage your husband/family/friends by signing up for a race relay or a triathlon relay where everyone plays a role and has to train together.

You might also join a local training club for support and encouragement if you cannot get it from your spouse/family/friends.

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. I have heard of many families that just dont care about being fit, i am thankful that my family does in fact love to talk fitness. But i used to live with people who didnt care.
I would suggest setting your husband down and explaining to him how important it is to you to stay fit and that you cannot do it with out his support. And those friends of yours, if they have lost interest in your life ever since you stopped partying, well, that just means their friendship for you wasn't real enough in the first place. As harsh as that sounds, but you are probably better off with out them.
Like the comment before me states, you should try out meeting new people in your local gym.
I send you all the best regards, and dont let anyone look down on you for this goal. Keep up that good work!

Thanks for the great ideas. I do feel i need to move on from the past because the future im creating for myself is what makes me happy, my husband is interested in fitness but just not with me. I might track down a local group for fitness events and get started on meeting some new friends and making some healthy goals :) Thanks for the advice :)

Hey Amie, I think that's a great idea to find a group that has a similar interest as you. You're much more likely to find support there! Lots of people have a hard time dealing with change, so if your friends know you a certain way, it can be hard for them to accept that you no longer want to be that way anymore... Sometimes people can get defensive and think that you're now judging them for not following the same path that you are following.

I think you'll also find that people here can be very supportive, so you're likely to get some encouraging words along the way if you pop in here from time to time!

Back