EXTREMELY Important Question.My Diet here, is it good?

Hello. I've changed my diet around A LOT. Now I have one more delimma left ( I am no longer going to buy into Slimfast, all those weight loss things, gonna go regular-healthy diet)

I am 5'8
188 lbs.
16 Yrs. Old.

I slow run/med jog everyday. ~2.3 miles, usually get in 25 min or so.

Breakfast:
Egg, Toast w/ little peanut butter ( ~ 500? )

Brunch:
I have weights class 3 times a week, usually have a protein shake ( Protoplex frmo GNC, 42g protein 290 cal)

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwhich ( ~510 Cal )

Dinner:
Brown Rice w/ a chicken breast ( just grilled, with seasoning, I looked at label did not see much calories )

Before this I usually had a chicken salad for dinner, which I did not like very much, daily value is around 144g of protein, 1537 cal, 48g fat, 70g carb, that is AVERAGE as I did not know exact amt in egg. Now I change the dinner might be more.

I have NO clue how much a medium sized bowl ( Chinese style since Im chinese=) of Brown Rice will stand in calories. I THINK this is a good diet, but I am really not sure. I really want to know if I could lose weight steadily like this ( I mean to keep it off, not in rush to lose it.)

ANY help would prove most useful, thanks guys!

can you add in some small meals b/w lunch and dinner and something before bed?

I COULD. I dont know what to tho. And that diet ( i Dont know how much brown rice is, i guessing ) is about 1600-1700 calories, I dont want to intake more =(

typical recommendations are 5-6 meals a day, roughly every 3 hours. you dont want to go long without eating because then you'll start losing muscle.

you can use these sites to help track calories:

OK ! HERE IT IS! Les restart my essay.

I am 5'8, 188 lbs. 16 Years old. My name is Gordon =)
I have been on a diet for 2 weeks, I have been running for 30 minutes each day, lifting 3 times a week, and ate A LOT more healthier, but I have been changing my diet around ( As I keep on finding about new stuff everyday =)

I have read and understood that 6 meals a day is ideal. So I have a question on what it should be now. I am chinese so my parents cook chinese food ( GREASE ). Which means I cook everything for myself now.

I havnt really calculated the cal intake for these, but I imagine them being around 1800? Thats the ideal I want =)

The meals with a (?) after is questionable =(

Breakfast:
Toast w/ thinly spread low fat Peanut Butter

Snack 1:
Half a Turkey Sandwhich ( 2 slices of swiss cheese, 2 turkey, Very thin spread mayo.)
*On days I workout, which is in morning, I have a Protein Shake instead? ( Question is - My shake is very good in nutritition, 3 g carbs, 0 sugar, 0 fat, ete. It has 50g of protein, is it good to have so much per serving? Or should I spread this half then half for the meal after I run? Meal number 5)

Lunch:
Other half of Turkey Sandwhich
? What should I do if I did not lift? The whole sandwhich is about 500 calories, seems sketchy.

Snack 2:
This is usually after school. Slice of bread w/ thin spread peanut butter + 1 slice turkey??

Dinner:
Half a bowl of Brown Rice w/ Half a Chicken Breast ( Grilled )
An Alternate is I crack 1 egg, put alitte oil in pan, and make some brown fried rice.(?)

Snack 3:
Like Dinner, other half =/ (?)
My parents are getting mad at me for eating 2 dinners, do you have any suggestions?

Anything would help! I been VERY determined to lose weight, and I have been keeping up with this. Thanks for any suggestions!

P.S.
Sorry for the huge arse paragraph and grammar!

Well I been keeping up with diet, a little more food sometimes ( like sometimes Ill add in a fat free yogurt, or a nutri grain bar, or a little bit more peanut butter on the meals.) Will that hurt? I dont know! I've lost 10 lbs from the first week, I just weighed in today and I gained 2 lbs! That really discourages me that I am gaining =( Am I doing anything wrong? Should I limit my calories even more? I work out every other day and have 50g of protein after it, but how do I know if im gaining muscle? And is 2lbs really muscle ? Sorry for this long essay but im about to head to school and im kinda frustrated =(

well, i think you are eating a lot of carbs. I would remove all the bread that you are eating. You caloric intake is good, just the wrong type of calories for losing weight. Don't worry so much about fat content in your foods ... focus on the carbohydrates ... those will put on more weight in the end than the amount of fat that you are currently eating.
I think that you should split your protein shake up into two servings as your body will end up dumping a lot of those. It's the same reason that you split up your meals .. your body is able to make better use of what you are feeding it if it's spread out a little more evenly.
Try not to focus on the scale too much ... that's wrong, especially if you are weight training. Instead use BF% or just the mirror.

Good Luck

Thanks sooo much for the reply! I had a question tho, what kind of meal could a high school student have beside a sandwhich? I tried to think of something without the bread, but just couldn't. Also - I hear having the 6th meal ( before sleep ) is good, but I dont know what is good. I usually have a fat free yogurt ( 90 cal, BUT it has 11g of sugar........ is that bad? ) and I been told by my PE teacher that I need carbs for energy....... Iunno, could you help me further? HEhe im so clueless!

-Gordon

hrmm i have herd that having too much fruit is bad because of the GI? Please confirm this, as I have like 6-7 apples a day hehe, when I get the munchies the crunchy tasty apples help =)

like anything, there is such thing as too much of a good thing ... same would apply to fruit.
As for lunches, there are tones of things that you can have for lunch. Anything that you have for dinner, works just as well for lunch. I usually have left overs from the night before, or a I make huge bowl of my own version of macaroni salad with chicken and tuna and have that for a week.
But, for eating before bed, it depends on what you are eating. A protein shake would be great for helping to rebuild your muscle and carbs would be good if you have some kind of tournament or big game the next day. However, a lot of people have trouble sleeping if they eat just before bed.

Back