Exercising, eating less but scales not moving

sean1904

wondering if anyone has any advice I recently joined the gym and I know things don't happen over night but I have been going to the gym everday for a week and half, doing around 1hour a day 30 mins of cardio and 30 mins of weight training burning between 900-1200 calories at the gym, I am eating around 1800 calories a day but the scales don't seem to be budging In actual fact it says I've put on body fat but lost muscle mass, could it be that im not eating enough calories and my body is in starvation mode

Height : 6ft 6in
weight : 176.9KG
BMR = 2,882 calories/day

any help would be apprecitated

A couple of reasons

Firstly, cardio machines at gyms are notorious for over estimating the calories used and depending on intensity, weight training sessions burn very few calories directly, rest between sets should not be counted as time spent lifting in your calorie calculations.

If you are new to exercise or routine your body will retain water as part of the healing and recovery process, this will make your weight go up but it is not an increase in fat.

bioelectric impedance scales are very inaccurate when it comes to measuring bodyfat. They are ok for measuring trends over a long period of time but not for short term changes. When using this type of scales try to use them under the same conditions each time and at the same time of day.

you are not in any kind of "starvation mode" after such a short time.

as a side note, care needs to be taken if lifting every day to avoid over training, do not do the same lifting routine every day.

Back