Exercise related pain

Sunny1

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have a question I hope you could help me with. I have been running for several years. I run about 4-5 miles and eat between 1,000 to 1,400 calories every day. I've lost ten pounds in the last two months but now my calves hurt and my lower legs are swollen. I have a desk job and sit most of the day. On the weekends, I try to "make up" for lost exercising by working out a litle harder than during the week.

It seems like I've plateued in weight loss, and the calf pain discourages me from running. Does anyone know why my calves are so tight, and why they might be so tight for only the last two weeks. Should I be patient with weight loss abnd continue running every day or do I need to change something?

Thanks!

not sure where ur from, but weather change could have something to do with it ... also, if you've been sick, that might be it ...

... or, it could be your body telling you to slow down a bit. Since you have reached a plateau, a break is actually good for you ... and then change up your routine ... maybe try biking for awhile (lot better for your legs, too)

I would also suggest looking at what type of shoes you have, that plays a role in that as well. I have had pain in my calves as well and was directed to get some different shoes that offer more support and of course drink plenty of water and make sure you are strecthing before and after you work out.

Nicole

workitout ... excellent point. Shoes can make a HUGE difference. I never even remembered, but i used to have problems with my calves when i went hiking ... got a new pair of insoles, and all was good.

Thanks for all your replies. I've been replacing my shoes evey few months with the same model for the last couple years with no problems. I'm going to try a change and see if that works.

Back