Exercise - my dark cloud

Lisa3

Hi everyone...

I would really appreciate some tips on how to get to an exercise program and actually stick with it. I always try for a while and as soon as i can't go once that's it...i skip a couple of more times and then I am out of it again. Don't say sign up for classes, that would just waste my - non-existant - money. I have to find a way to get to do it at home, then I might stick with it. My last attempt lasted for about 2 weeks where I did just a little bit everyday, then I missed one, then the next, then it was 5 days and that little devil in my ear told me "that's it = you won't be able to catch up anymore anyway"

Please Help - any hint is highly appreciated.

Sounds like you need a workout partner. If you have trouble sticking with a program, then you need someone to push you (and, subsequently, push them). It's always hard to get to the gym, or simply do your workout at home. There is no easy solution. You have to convince yourself everyday that you can't skip a workout, unless it's absolutely necessary, but always make it up. Try punishing yourself ... no dessert if you skip a workout ... or no going to the movies ... something like that.

Thanks AllCdnBoy.
Maybe I'll try and find someone to do the exercises with. And that dessert thing might actually work for me - I love the "sweet end" to a meal.
I guess I should also try and find that little 'man in my head' that I scared away and let him know it's ok to bug me and not run off and hide when I get grouchy. :D

AllCdnBoy is right, it is easier with a partner. Just try to get up 1/2 earlier in the morning and exercise. It is hard, but trust me, you will feel so much better once you started. Try to set small goals at the beginning, just 10 minutes or even start with 10 squats, 10 push-ups and 10 sit-ups...that doesn't even take that long and once you do that on a daily basis it's not that hard to increase sets or reps.

Good Luck!!

I don't have much time to go to gym. So, I try to do exercise at home. It's very hard to convince yourself to wake up early in the morning and go jogging or do anything. Whenever I feel tired, I think of how fat I'm if I 'm lazy, and it gives me some reason not to skip it. You know, I 'm the type of person who's very easy to gain weight. Though I don't eat anything, I'll gain weight if I don't do any exercise. So, exercise for me is very important. For your condition, I think, whenever you feel lazy, just think: I just do it for 10 mins, and if I feel tired I will stop and have a rest. Frequently, you'll get stronger after 10 mins exercise, and continue your work. If not, don't worry, you've 10 mins warm up your body, and every single minute will contribute to your body much, even thought you won't realize it.

Thanks for your advice - I started this year with 10 repetitions of push-up, sit-up and squat...i missed a few days - don't ask me how I can miss something that does take so little time, but after missing those days, I just couldn't get back on track. I think about it more and more often and hopefully get to the point where I start again...wish me luck...i do have that much time - if I say I don't - it's a sad excuse:eek: :eek:

Either you want to look awesome this summer or you don't . You decide, because it is exactly that. Only you can do something about it, just sitting there won't get it done. Maybe you could try doing sit-ups and push-ups inbetween commercials while watching your favorite show. If you have some adjustable dumbells (those are the best because you don't need a whole weight set to do many diff. kinds of execises) you could use those while sitting on the couch. Try putting your workout clothes and shoes right at the foot of your bed or on top of the toilete seat (seeing as that usually is the first thing you visit in the morning). Write down your goals and update your accomplishments then make copies and post them all over the house. I put mine on a note card and put one in my lunch bag and one in my purse. That is a constant reminder at how good I'm doing and how far I still need to go. Coming to this forum is a very good step. Good luck, I Know You Can Do It!!!!!!!

Yeh, I'm a pretty lazy person as well, what you need is a easy convenient workout. Try Pilarties or an exersice ball. There both fun and you can see results. You can just start off on them if you are not confortable with walking/running at this moment.

Originally posted by starylovenight
I don't have much time to go to gym. So, I try to do exercise at home. It's very hard to convince yourself to wake up early in the morning and go jogging or do anything. Whenever I feel tired, I think of how fat I'm if I 'm lazy, and it gives me some reason not to skip it. You know, I 'm the type of person who's very easy to gain weight. Though I don't eat anything, I'll gain weight if I don't do any exercise. So, exercise for me is very important. For your condition, I think, whenever you feel lazy, just think: I just do it for 10 mins, and if I feel tired I will stop and have a rest. Frequently, you'll get stronger after 10 mins exercise, and continue your work. If not, don't worry, you've 10 mins warm up your body, and every single minute will contribute to your body much, even thought you won't realize it.

That's real good advice.....it wqorked for me as well..awesome shit aye.

Lisa,

For me working out at home made all the difference. I used to belong to my local YMCA, but after fixing dinner and straightening up the kitchen, the last thing I wanted to do was leave the house to exercise.

When I was going to the Y regularly, I used books on tape to motivate myself. I would only allow myself to listen to them when I was at the Y exercising, so it was like a reward for me.

I find it easier to stay with it now that I'm exercising at home. I have my elliptical in the bedroom so I see it every morning! I have no excuse for not using it.

I know this sounds like a cliché, but the key is to find what works for YOU. I'm a morning person, so I don't mind getting up. You might not be. I don't want to depend on a partner, but you might need that. Keep experimenting until you find a way that works for you. Sooner or later you'll be successful. Just don't stop trying:) .

Back