Exercise is essential for health but a poor tool for weight loss

It is. Do you have a summary, maybe?

• The exercise studied was endurance/cardio
  • supervised exercise studies show that long-term (~4 months or longer) changes in daily physical activity generally result in smaller effects on TEE than predicted from the imposed exercise workload,
  • For some cohorts, there is no statistically significant increase in TEE after months of participating in endurance exercise.
  • Dhurandar and colleagues [16] found that average weight loss across 20 cohorts was 55–64% less than expected and typically less than 2 kg. Notably, 5 cohorts gained weight.
  • meta-analysis, by Jansen and colleagues [17], found “no significant effects [on]… body weight [or] body mass index”.
  • “Modest” is not defined, but would lead most lay readers to expect more than 2 kg of weight loss from months of diligent exercise when the study results indicate less than 2kg loss after months of supervised exercise.
  • Actual study results do not match with published public guidelines.

As many on here have posted for a long time, you cannot exercise away a bad diet, exercise is good but it cannot be the sole solution for weight loss.

The studies looked at did not include strength training or compare BF% which is a different aspect of exercise and its relationship with weight loss.

Thank you! Not surprised at all. When I first start exercising (more) I tend to be a lot more hungry and if you then tell yourself you deserve an extra chocolate bar (à 550 kcal/100g) and maybe you take the bus to work rather than walking because your legs are tired... Those things become habits that easily make up for an hour of cardio. Exercise is good for cardiovascular health, mental health, bone health, sleep quality, motivation to eat well, and probably more things my sleepy brain won't come up with, but it can't do everything alone.

Back