Exercise advice.

Demented

Hi Guys. Just need your opinion. This is my personal training guide. Now another personal trainer has told me it is basically crap. That some of the stuff i'm doing will make me "wider". That hopping from one cardio machine to another is ridiculous as they all do the same thing. He also told me to cut back on the weights. I dunno what to do or which one to listen to. I have been following this since November. Is it rubbish

Monday:
Cross Trainer - 20 mins
Stepper - 15 mins
Exercise bike - 10 mins
Leg press, 4 sets of 20 reps
Squats, 1 set of 20 reps
Lunges, 1 set of 20 reps
Hip extension, 2 sets of 20 reps

Tuesday:
Threadmill - 20 mins
Rowing Machine - 15 mins
Exercise Bike - 10 mins
Lat pull down, 4 sets of 20 reps
1 arm dumbell rows, 3 sets of 20 reps
Bend over rowing, 3 sets of 20 reps
Hyperextension, 3 sets of 10 reps
Abbs with roller, 5 sets of 10 reps

Thursday
Cross Trainer - 20 mins
Rowing Machine - 15 mins
Exercise Bike - 10 mins
Bench Press, 4 sets of 20 reps
Pec Dec, 3 sets of 15 reps (this one just about kills me)
Tricep Push down, (with rope), 4 sets of 20 reps
1 arm french press, 3 sets of 20 reps

Friday
Exercise Bike - 15 mins
Cross Trainer - 15 mins
Threadmill - 15 mins
Barbell Curl, 4 sets of 15 reps
Cable Curn, 3 sets of 20 reps
Front Pressing, 3 sets of 15 reps
Abbs with roller, 5 sets of 10 reps.

It is complete crap;)

But really it is.

What are your goals? What is your diet like?

he is completely wrong when he said cut back on the weights. increasing metabolism is the goal of weightloss, right? guess what..more muscle equals higher metabolism since muscle uses the vast majority of calories. you can't move without muscle. muscles move because of calories. so the more muscle, the more calories burned..the more calories burned by your body (active or resting), the higher your metabolism.

you need to incorporate more supersets and active recovery in your workout. conduct core exercises, calisthenics, and plyometrics, in addition to some weight training.

At first I thought it was good, I read M, T and seen it looked like a lower/upper routine. Then I kept reading and it became a lower/upper/upper/arms routine.

I agree with the statement of jumping from machine to machine, its just a waste of time. What are your goals?

Before I start, I'm not a professional but I have taken college fitness and nutrition classes, so I'd like to think I'm fairly well informed and think on the common sense side.

I'm a little confused as to the term "wider" for starters... never heard it in that context.

As to your routine, I do dig the variety between the days of the week. Theres not a huge point to switching between aerobic machines, unless you're someone who bores easily in which case move around as long as you don't waste time cooling down in between. I'd personally recommend an aerobic exercise for about 5 mins, getting off and doing a stretch routine and getting back on for whatever time, 30-40 mins.

Like mentioned above building muscle will increase your metabolism as well as protect it from metabolic break down if you're also dieting. I also agree with adding more core exercises and calisthenics. Plyometrics is kind of specialized so look into it if you think you might benefit from it and go from there.

Its been about 3 months and even though your routine is pretty good, Id mix it up before your body gets too use to it. Try a few weeks of higher weights with less reps but with slow controlled motions. You could also do dead hangs, a well known rock climbing exercise, which will help your grip and lower arm muscle groups. Don't be afraid to mix up your aerobics with some swimming, jump roping, hiking, etc. There are many more options that I couldnt even name.

Hi. Thank you for your replies.

My main aim is weight loss.
I'm 5'6. 177ibs. Female.
I want to get to about 147ib. Be happy at 154ibs though
Diet is minimum 1200 calories a day.

When going from machine to machine it is straight off one and on to another, no cooling down.

When it comes to the weights. My arms are very very week. My legs are strong enough. My arms really annoy me, i have wings. I am losing loads of inches from my chest to my hips. Almost NOTHING off my legs (thighs, calves ext). I actually haven't lost 1cm from my calves and only a mere few from my thighs. They are almost same as when i was at 210.

I know i can't make the weight come off in certain places and lets face it, it needs to come off of everywhere anyway so where it comes off isn't too much of a big deal once it comes off.

Have you been doing that routine the whole time you've been training?

Basically its an imbalanced routine. You'd get more from a fullbody or actual upper/lower split. Weight training legs is very important, those are the biggest muscles of the body.

What machine do you like if any? Maybe you like swimming.

Yep thats what i've been doing. Just upping the level every while. I love swimming but at the moment i am too self conscious to get in a swim suit. I like all the machines. Well i get bored on the rowing machine and the stepper/stair climber almost kills me but nothing i really dislike. I love the weights. It looks to me the only leg thing is a monday. I have added in the thigh extension. I like the leg press. I actually like them all. Pec dec i find the hardest.

How do you mean an upper lower split. I dunno what to add on to do more lower.

And by the way, the "widen" comment came from the squats with weights. That it would strenghten my back or something but make me wider?

Basically an upper/lower would be your M, T routine, but then repeated on Th, F or Th, S. Of course, we would have to tweak that routine.

How long has it been since you took some time off?

Its always good to take a break from training after a certain amount of time. I just took a week off last week. Just gives your body a chance to rest and recuperate, a little R & R if you will.

You'll much more refreshed afterwards. Keep eating healthy of course, but a break from the exercise is a must.

No problem, will do :D

Back