Erector Spinae

this should be my last question in here. I have been having back pain for quite a long time. I was checking out the abs how-to by Tonymcclellan, and the Erector Spinae is exactly where I've been having pain (from the base of the neck to 2-3" below the shoulder blade. It comes and goes, and migrates from one side to the other. I can usually get my wife to massage the pain out. Is there an exercise I can to to strengthen these muscles... my posture sucks too...

Hope this helps

I was actually curious if you have been checked for Scoliosis. This is a condition that i have had for a long time. It can be painfull in different parts of your back, and it does not help when you try to sit or stand up straight. (Even though you should). I have always tried to do things like seated rows, lat pull downs, and focus on your core muscles it will help your posture and help your back not get tired and sore as fast. Good luck

You should see a chiropractor or orthopedist first to verify that there is no structural problem that could be agravated by exercise.

Once your doctor clears you, then follow a good all round exercise plan with an emphasis on compound movements, starting light and working up gradually in weight. I would think things like deadlifts, bent rows and chins would be helpful, balanced by working the opposing muscles (squats, bench press and military press).

nope... no Scoliosis. I see a Chiropractor ever once in a while, and he's mentioned nothing... I DO know when I originally injured my back. March of this year, I was putting the transmission back in my truck, and it slipped. It was either catch it with my arms or my face... I chose arms... wrenched the crud outta my back... was laid up for 2 weeks... only thing is, that pain is my lower back, and it's been good for the most part for the last couple months, this is higher.

I was reading up on your possible problem and it looks like the erector spinae. is the most commonly injured muscle group of your back. It said that most of the time its a strain but if not carefull could be serious. The web site i got this from is spine-health.com. It looks like other than going to the doc, good rest for your back is the way to go. Good luck and hope this helps

If you're looking for direct core work, I would say bridges or iso prone cobras (superman).

Back