Emily's Diary

LaCoquette

hello!

i am a newcomer to the forum. i just went through some of your threads and i think this is a great way to keep motivated. i've done this weight loss thing before. about two years ago i lost 75 lbs and was still heavy, but not ridiculously so (5'8" and 180 lbs). of course, i've regained about half of that and i want it to stop NOW. ideally i want to return to where i was, and lose another 25 lbs or so. so it's an uphill battle right now, but i know that if i did it before, i can do it again.

i really did lose weight the right way the first time. before i started, i had absolutely NO IDEA what i was putting into my body. i didn't feel like i ate incredible amounts of food, but i was definitely eating the wrong food. so i cut out juice and soda and started keeping track of my calories. i also went to the gym pretty religiously. over a year i dropped those 75 lbs. miraculously it only took me about 15 months to regain half of them! last year, i was in a very rough spot with a bad marriage (that i just got out of - yay!) and was binge drinking (which usually also means binge fried food eating). it also meant i was too hungover to ever go to the gym.

i realized about a month ago that none of my clothes fit me anymore. there is nothing more depressing than not being able to zip up a pair of stretch jeans. so after a brief dip into depression, i decided to head back to the gym. i started two weeks ago walking 45 minutes (at 4mph) on the treadmill 4-5 days a week. i've also incorporated 30 minutes of weight training 3 days a week. i've been keeping my calories to about 1400 - 1500 with a lot of small meals full of GOOD food. i know this is higher than the 1200 everyone throws around, but when i'm burning 300 or 400 calories at the gym, i get dizzy if i don't eat that much. it's also a range i'm more likely to be able to maintain in real life. i also now bring my lunch to work, which saves calories and money.

in the past 2 weeks i've lost 4 pounds. not only that, but i FEEL better. going to the gym has definitely upped my endorphins and my spirit and i haven't had to take my anxiety medication since i started going. my pants fit better, my arms and legs feel tighter.

this is an average day of food for me:
breakfast:
special K w/ milk (about 200 cals)
small glass light juice (50 cals)

snack:
fruit/grain bar, or a Pria (130 cals)

lunch:
turkey sandwich on whole grain bread (350 cals)
100-cal pack of snack mix (100 cals)
small peppermint patty (40 cals)

pre-gym snack:
1 slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter (120 cals)
carrots/celery/cut veggies (50 cals)

dinner:
frozen meal, lean pocket or canned soup (300 cals)
small salad w/ low-fat dressing (150 cals)

i find that if i consistently eat 200 - 400 calorie "meals" more often throughout the day, i get less hungry. i would like to make real food for myself at dinner time, but i work a lot of hours, and i'm living alone. it's hard to justify spending time and money when i know that a portion of whatever i cook will always get tossed. of course living alone also gives me plenty of time to go to the gym, time to make sure i get to the grocery store and no one to tempt me with "bad" food.

what i think is so interesting is that when i was 180 lbs i still felt really HUGE. i look at pictures of myself from that year, and i see how average i was! i fit easily into size 14 clothes, my muscles were huge, my face looked so thin. i'm very, um, curvy, so i had a wonderful shape to me. now, i know that there is no place in life for regrets, but it's really unfortunate that i wasn't able to keep on trucking from that point. now i've backtracked and have to make up so much ground. argh.

anyway, my first goal is to lose 12 lbs by my birthday, which is two months from tomorrow. this is a very achievable goal. my next goal is to be down a total of 32 lbs by the 4th of july. this gives me about 5 months to be just about back where i was. i won't project any further than that at this point, but i would hope that i'll be down to my final goal of 155-160 by xmas.

so, i'm motivated, i'm informed and i'm on my way. and this time, there's no going back!

I really hand it to you to jumping back on the wagon to stop the the cycle of, lose and then regain back, and often more is gained back.
Your body will respond quickly to the gym routine again...and you will meet your goals ....you will find lots of encouragment here!!!

thanks for the greeting. i'm hoping to do as well as everyone else on here seems to be!

today has been a good day so far:
Breakfast:
Special K (200 cals)

Snack:
1/4 of a donut. they were brought in to celebrate the pat's victory and i miss dunkin donuts now that i'm down in the south! apparently there are a few DDs in richmond. anyway, i took one, had 1/4 of it and threw the rest away.
(only 45 cals)

lunch:
turkey sandwhich on rye bread (300 cals)
100 cal pack of wheat thins
sugar free jello (10 cals)

and will be -
afternoon snack:
100-cal pack chipsahoy

pre-gym:
carrots (i bought A LOT of them last night!)

dinner:
single-serving pizza (360 cals)
fresh strawberry smoothie made with light OJ and splenda (100 cals)

that gets me to about 1300. then i'll put in 45 minutes on the treadmill, but no weight training today because i exhausted all my muscles last night! when i do the treadmill at 4mph with a 1 or 2 incline, the machine says i'm burning 500 calories in 45 minutes, but i don't know if that's accurate? it seems like a lot!

unfortunately it's also just starting to be "that time of the month" so i'm feeling blobbish and gross. hopefully the exercise will help!

man, i'm suffering from serious cramps. it's amazing how a few days a month you can feel like you've gained about 50 lbs around the tummy area.

kept on track with food so far today, though i didn't make it to the gym last night because my back pain wouldn't stop.

breakfast:
total w/ milk (200 cals)

lunch:
100-cal pack of wheat thins
lean pocket steak fajita (280 cals)

snack:
100-cal pack chips ahoy

dinner will be:
lean cuisine - (300 cals)

i'm also planning on throwing in some fruits and veggies, just not sure what yet. i feel like crap so i'm going to do my best to make it to the gym, but my body is telling me i just want a bath and a couple of advil.

i found a bottle of MiracleBurn pills in my closet from my last diet attempt. i tried them before for a few days, but didn't feel they were making any impact. does anyone have any experience with them? i really don't want to take diet pills, but i need a kickstart...

I hope the advil works for you. Cramps can be killer, escpecially at the start of a new lifestyle. Don't let them get in your way! As far as diet pills, I used to take stacker 2 for energy but found my heart beating so fast is scared me! just be careful. You totally have it in control. You know what you have to do and you're doing it. GREAT JOB!

I wonder when calorie counting becomes an eating disorder. Sometimes I eat and I feel guilty, and I know I'm not eating something that is bad for me, or out of my calorie intake goal, but I feel guilty.

It's 12:30 and all i've eaten today was a bowl of cereal at 7 am and a lean pocket. But I feel like I've just gorged myself. For the past two nights I've woken up in the middle of the night hungry (like with actual hunger pains), and I'm not sure if it's because I'm not getting enough calories or because I'm psyching myself out. I probably had about 1200 calories on both days, mostly prepared meals and cereal. Is it possible that even though 1200 is an adequate number of calories that I'm not getting enough substance?

The good news is that I am losing weight. I'm down 9 lbs since I started about 4 weeks ago. But I am pretty sure that losing weight doesn't have to mean being hungry. What can I eat that is filling and easy (has to be easy) but that won't send my calories skyrocketing?

Happy Valentine's Day all.

Congratulations on the weight loss
if you are on any eating program you should never feel hungry as it won’t last. Because you are doing so much exercise your body may need more food. I noticed that you had a lean cuisine for dinner maybe you should have a piece of fruit as well like an orange, apple or stone fruit of some kind, you could even make your self a salad to go with it. These are all healthy and yummy. I hope this helped.

Thanks for your posts ladies. I agree that an eating program that leaves me hungry will not last. Sometimes I don't know if I'm really hungry, or I just think I am!

Today it is supposed to hit 70 degrees in Richmond. I'm so excited to be able to do my walks outside at night! I especially can't wait for the days to get longer. I love spring!

I think you said that you are trying to stick around 1200 calories... don't feel bad if you are more in the 1200-1400 range.. you want to make sure you get enough substance... i would suggest adding another snack between breakfast and lunch... even out your meals throughout the day... i had posted this for someone else earlier and they said it was helpful, so here is how i try to even out my calories:

Breakfast: 300
Snack: 200
Lunch: 300
Snack: 200
Dinner: 300

That's only 1300 right there... and of course, you probably won't eat exactly that many calories at each meal... if you only eat 200 for breakfast, you know you have another hundred to add on some where... or if you just grab a piece of fruit for a snack, you ahve extra too... don't get to lunch and panic b/c you feel like you have eaten too much for the day. Just take it one step at a time, try your best, and remember, that 1200-1400 is a great range to be in =)

oh... and for some food suggestions... baked sweet potatoes are sooo good... and only about 100 cals, so a great filling addition to a dinner meal. just throw it in the oven cook it for about 45 minutes, slit open, add a little bit of butter and some ginger, and eat (not the skin)... it is sooo good. For lunch, try sandwhichs on whole wheat bread... pile them high with veggies, and you will be full in no time =)

Last edited:
Back