Drinking while your baby is breastfeeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

big bad bernie

Drinking Alchol while your baby is breastfeeding

Hi all, what your thoughts on having a few drinks while your breast feeding?
Do you think its bad bad for the baby?
Lets say your on a night out and you have 5/6 drinks, is that going to harm the baby?:rant:

Last edited:
5-6 drinks? Really? That's an awful lot, whether you're breastfeeding or not.

Most of the women I know had a drink once in a while while BFing. In fact one of the old time tips for bringing in a woman's milk was to drink beer.

But drinking to excess while BFing? Not such a good idea.

I'm new here. . .

Alcohol is metabolized in breast milk at the same rate as it is in your blood. It takes about one hour for each "drink" to go into the breast milk/blood and then out of it. A "drink" is one beer, 3 oz. of wine or 2 oz. of liquor.

It's perfectly ok to have a glass of wine or a beer after your baby is in bed for the night. Getting drunk is not a good idea and won't help your weight loss efforts.

~Sandy

Lets say your on a night out and you have 5/6 drinks, is that going to harm the baby?:rant:

Many pediatricians and lactation consultants will tell you that a single glass of wine or beer is fine on occasion. Others will advise that you don't drink at all. No matter what the advice, it's a fact that alcohol does pass into breast milk and heavy drinking (more than two glasses daily) is not healthy for you or your baby.

This information is correct. It takes two to three hours for a drink to pass through breastmilk even if you pump and dump. I had a glass of wine once and awhile but feeding your child to much alcohol can slow down their development. It is best to wait the two to three hours PER drink before BF again or pumping & saving.

I'm new here. . .

Alcohol is metabolized in breast milk at the same rate as it is in your blood. It takes about one hour for each "drink" to go into the breast milk/blood and then out of it. A "drink" is one beer, 3 oz. of wine or 2 oz. of liquor.

It's perfectly ok to have a glass of wine or a beer after your baby is in bed for the night. Getting drunk is not a good idea and won't help your weight loss efforts.

~Sandy

Exactly as mentioned. I'm still BFing my daughter and from what my lactation consultant (had BFing issues in the beginning so attended a group for a few months) said, 1 drink an hour is the proper way of looking at how your body metabolizes the alcohol. When I go out, which is really not that often, I drink only 1 drink an hour. However, since alcohol is very dehydrating, be sure to match that drink with a glass or two of water each hour. Water is vital to your milk, too! Have fun (but be safe!)

Well, if it helps, my maM drunked WHeN she fedbreasted I and me tURNEd out phone.

You can drink, pump, pump again, and then start feeding normally. Most nursing mothers tend to have excess around for various reasons.

5-6 drinks wow.. maybe not such a great idea when you are breastfeeding.. perhaps on those nights you should formula feed the baby... that way you can supplement baby with both BF and formula.. why take the chance of harming your baby.. not worth it.

I agree with those who tell here that drinking and BFeeding is the worst idea you can have . One drink is OK , when you know that you didn't have to Bfeed the littleone for a few hours . But 5-6 ? Too much , just think to the effect of those drinks on you, and imagine how can the baby feel .
If you feel that you need to drink ... it's fine but don't Bfeed him than.

breastfeeding or not, are you sober watching the baby???

besides, alcohol is liquid fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back